DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
New User

Default FTPD User Access Denied

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I guess it could also be applicable in Installation but thats for the community to decide.

First, I would like to say Hi!
Second, I'm sorry if I come off as rude in my first ever post..it has been a long day.
Third, please believe me when I say I've searched, read, and tried until both my fingers and eyes have bled.

I'm in the proccess of setting up an FTP so I have a dump for all the computers in the house(most are laptops). I know there are other ways to backup files but this would be best for my situation. I'm a noob to anything *nix and I know I could have had this setup many hours ago if I had installed Winblows but alas, I am hard headed and have an uncontrollable urge to learn something new. Here is my problem:

Code:
[R] Connecting to 192.168.1.67 -> IP=192.168.1.67 PORT=21
[R] Connected to 192.168.1.67
[R] 220- WHY HALLOW THAR! BUTTSECHES?
[R] 220  FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
[R] USER ftpadmin
[R] 530 User ftpadmin access denied.
[R] Connection failed
*Yes, a rather odd welcome message but I needed to make sure I was actually connecting*

Oddly enough, root, my own user account(sysinstall), and the anon ftp account(created from sysinstall), all seem to work. ftpadmin is one I made using adduser and it just doesn't seem to like me. I've read man pages upon man pages on creating users, creating groups, configuring ftpd, and what ever else was somehow slightly related according to Google. I've looked through old newsgroups also.

I'm really at my wits end here. If anyone has a suggestion, I will gladly accept it.

Thanks very much for your help!

PS:
I have the feeling theres some information I've left out, configs and such, but I can't really think of what they are..I'm going to finally take a break from this so let me know what other things you need to know and I'll gladly get them to you!

-wasted
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Uber Geek

what do the logs say ?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Local

Is this the base system ftpd? If so, in addition to the logs (which probably will make the problem a lot more obvious), read the manpages for ftpd(8).

There could be a number of problems -- perhaps a bad shell for the user, or being listed in /etc/ftpusers (which denies access). Not sure I understand why it would be working for root, though; that's not good.

Let us know what you figure out.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
New User

Ahh shoot, the logs! Sorry, thats one thing I didn't check. Unfortunatly I'm at work so I'll check them tonight when I get back but in the mean time..

I checked over ftpd(8) again to see if I missed anything but it all seems to be in check. I am wondering though if the accounts need to be in the wheel group? The daemon needs to be super-user, so would the ftp accounts go into wheel? This seems unlikely to me..

I guess I'll have to wait till I get home, haha. Thanks for your help guys!

EDIT:
Oh I forgot, the root account was only possible because I commented it out in /etc/ftpusers. It didn't stay that way for long, just a quick test ;p
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Administrator

The section The ftpd utility authenticates users according to six rules. of ftpd(8) has it all
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
New User

So it was something silly. I had already messed with /etc/shells to add nologin into it..but I guess I just can't use it at all if its in that state. At some point yesterday, I had read that it was a good idea to set the shell as nologin for ftp'ers.

Thanks everyone for your help!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Banned

On OpenBSD, for an ftp-only account, one typically adds /usr/bin/false into /etc/shells and then uses that as the users shell.

This effectively disables interactive login, but still allows ftp connections...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
On OpenBSD, for an ftp-only account, one typically adds /usr/bin/false into /etc/shells and then uses that as the users shell.

This effectively disables interactive login, but still allows ftp connections...
Ahh cool! Ya, I came to note that I found /nonexistent works(shows motd then "No such file.." on shell).

Once again, thanks to everyone..its up and running besides permissions. Once I get that sorted I should be good. I'll probably be around to harass again soon.