DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Problems with ntfs partition located on a SATA driver.

Hi everyone,
I am a new FreeBSD user and I currently have 2 harddisks, one ATA which has the main BSD slice on it and one SATA that serves as storage. (Note that the partition on the SATA drive is ntfs).

I first installed BSD without plugging in the SATA HD, and everything went well. However, when I plug in the SATA driver after I turn off my computer and rebooted, my boot screen freezes and my computer froze and I can't login.

Knowing that SATA HDS allows you to Hot-swap, I turned on the system, and plugged in the harddisk while BSD was on. Everything worked fine, and I can mount it using the mount command.

However, I realized that when I turn off my computer and rebooted, I get the same error. What is the most effective way to go about this problem? I don't want to manually do this procedure over and over again.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Spam Deminer

How you configure your Bios , ??
it is better you set your ATA hard disk as master hard disk ,
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Normally, things like this have to do with drive ordering - the device nodes for the drives alter, meaning that the system cannot boot, because it is looking in the wrong places. A nice solution was provided in this post. These problems should not cause a system crash.

It is possible that the system is attempting to boot from the wrong drive, but to confirm that we would have to know where the system dies, and what, if any, error messages are given
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Shell Scout

You just cannot do it that way because it changes your drive order. Even if you install with the SATA drive in, when you remove it, the drive order will change and you may have the same problem. You may get away with it if you make the removable drive the last drive in the sequence but I wouldn't bet on it.

-Tim