DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th August 2008
New User

Default Samba Server on FreeBSD 6.1

I am currently working for a business who use a FreeBSD server to update their webshop. We were afraid of losing this data as getting it back would be near impossible. I have almost no prior knowledge of linux so we tried a simple Norton Ghost back-up. This attempt failed. After a while we consulted another company regarding this matter and they told us to try using Acronis. We did this and got an error saying that the image back-up could not continue due to poor media. We disconnected the hard disk we were going to put the image on and tried to boot the server back up and it started saying: "Default: F0" instead of the usual "Default: F1 FreeBSD".
I later booted from an ubuntu live CD to try and see why this drive wasn't mounting. When I tried to mount it I got the error: "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda9, missing code page or helper program or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"
I thought that it was something to do with the file system but as I have no prior experience with this, there was nothing I could do to rectify the problem. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to solve this problem and make the drive bootable again, and then if anyone knows how to back-up a FreeBSD 6.1 Drive then any help would be greatly appreciated in that area too. (REMEMBER: I will need the instructions as SIMPLIFIED as possible!) Thanks, John.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th August 2008
New User

Linux is not able to read or mount UFS filesystems from a FreeBSD system.
On thing you could do is to download Freesbie (a livecd of freebsd)
Then try to see if you can mount the filesystem, and copy it to an other pc through network.
This way you make sure you have a backup of all files.

http://www.freesbie.org/

http://www.freesbie.org/downloads.php

Last edited by Sylhouette; 8th August 2008 at 03:00 PM.