DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 20th July 2008
Spam Deminer

IMHO, this entire thread is full of examples of what to do and not to do with regards to both posting on this forum, and working with OBSD documentation to accomplish your objectives.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundkat View Post
No worries..
As a rule you should always update the kernel and userland.

Anoncvs look here
Patching look here.

by keeping your kernel and userland in sync you will avoid a lot of weird issues..

rk
I got an idea... if I do a *clean install* of OpenBSD, would I then be able to properly compile Postfix in /usr/ports/mail/postfix/stable ?

After all, things are messed up because I upgraded from OBSD 4.2 to 4.3 without upgrading the sources and kernel.

OpenBSD is so easy and fast to install that a clean install is less troublesome than a clean install in Linux or FreeBSD, IMHO.
Old 21st July 2008
More noise than signal

A clean install of 4.3, obtained from /pub/OpenBSD/4.3/<arch>/ at your nearest mirror would install "4.3-release." You will need the matching ports tree, obtained from the same mirror, in /pub/OpenBSD/4.3/ports.tar.gz.

The fastest way to prepare the build is to install all dependent packages needed to build Postfix, first. Setting your FLAVOR environment variable, then issuing "make print-build-depends" will give you the list of packages to install. Set your PKG_PATH appropriately to the /pub/OpenBSD/4.3/packages/<arch>/ of your nearest mirror.
Old 21st July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
A clean install of 4.3, obtained from /pub/OpenBSD/4.3/<arch>/ at your nearest mirror would install "4.3-release." You will need the matching ports tree, obtained from the same mirror, in /pub/OpenBSD/4.3/ports.tar.gz.
Yes, I am aware of that except that I did not know the ports tree had to be obtained from the same mirror. I will need to burn a new ISO to be sure I do get the ports tree from the same place.

thanks
Old 21st July 2008
More noise than signal

It doesn't have to come from the same mirror -- that's a matter of convenience -- but it does need to be in synch with the -release you've chosen. e.g.: 4.2 with 4.2, 4.3 with 4.3.
Old 22nd July 2008
Port Guard

Default SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
It doesn't have to come from the same mirror -- that's a matter of convenience -- but it does need to be in synch with the -release you've chosen. e.g.: 4.2 with 4.2, 4.3 with 4.3.
Thanks to you all all the others who helped. I did a clean install and successfully installed Postfix from ports with mysql and sasl2 support.

Tags
postfix openbsd