DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2011
More noise than signal

Default Thoughts on Information "Security"

I'll start by quoting myself from another thread, wherein the question was raised about an OpenBSD bastion firewall protecting one's network, one's privacy, one's digital life (business or personal). The question rose recently in a couple of different threads, but I believe this sums up the general case, whether or not OpenBSD is involved in any fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Security is not a product. It its a process, and any chink in the armor can become a problem.
I had pointed to application level errors such as SQL Injection as something that OpenBSD is not able to prevent.

Network administrators, OS administrators, application architects, application developers, and, of course, users themselves all have a role to play in the pantheon of security risk mitigation.

I give you, as an example of insecure-by-design web applications: amazon.com, facebook.com, twitter.com, and 23 other major web players that send information to clients completely in the clear. Whether or not these major players use complex firewalls and security software themselves, they expose personal information, including accounts and passwords. By design. OpenBSD would have no impact on this Firesheep example. (Excepting, of course, astute, technically aware clients who might route traffic through an OpenBSD-based VPN or tunnel.)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2011
Package Pilot

@jggimi

It's all in the mind set of who ever see's *OpenBSD* as a one stop total security solution or else he 'd be doing his home work and by the end of it he 'd know that what he get from OpenBSD's team is what is granted by them nothing more or less.

It's in our nature to seek security any where and every where and we often fool our selves by not looking anything up just for the fear of what might come to be noticed as *more* work to be done in order to achieve the required level of security no matter if it's physical or mental.

I blindly hope that my reply was as good as your post.

Cheers