DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Default pkg_add g95;g95 x.f95: cannot find g95

Hi all,

I have recently installed OpenBSD. After installing I used
pkg_add -v g95
and was able to use g95 to compile my code.

I have since added cvsup and downloaded the src code and rebuilt the kernel and world (Following openbsd101 guide). I encountered no errors in the upgrade process, however I am no longer able to use g95. I have run
pkg_delete g95;pkg_add -v g95
and it seems to install correctly but I cannnot run it. It is not installed in /usr/bin/g95 where I expected it to be.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

uname -a:
OpenBSD te2100.nj 4.3 GENERIC#0 i386
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enpey View Post
...and was able to use g95 to compile my code.
I assume you rebuilt the kernel & userland with gcc 4.2 as opposed to using the default gcc 3.3.5.

OpenBSD is vetted & built with gcc 3.3.5 which is installed by the comp43.tgz file set. To date, I am not aware that building the system is fully sanctioned with version 4.2. Since all packages are built with version 3.3.5, Version differences would account for why you are no longer able to use version 4.2; both the code & layout of resulting binaries are different between 3.3.5 & 4.2.

Likewise, while I don't see any fundamental differences between the information provided at the following:

http://www.openbsd101.com/updating.html#u4

...& Section 5 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html

I would recommend that you stay with information provided officially by the project itself as opposed to relying on third party sites.

Last edited by ocicat; 26th August 2008 at 01:33 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Banned

The local gcc is a modified version of gcc 3.3.5, they simply don't bump version counters.. it's inappropriate because it's not their project.

There is a man page documenting the changes to the compiler, most apparent are the stack protector changes..

It's a good read, gcc-local(1), I'm not sure, but I think the "gcc 4.2" port can coexist with the system compiler, one is in /usr and the other is in /usr/local.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
H...I have run pkg_delete g95;pkg_add -v g95 and it seems to install correctly but I cannnot run it. It is not installed in /usr/bin/g95 where I expected it to be....
You will find 3rd party packages install within the /usr/local hierarchy. They should never install in /usr/bin.

To see where all of the files associated with g95 are, see the output of:

$ pkg_info -L g95
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Ok, that is a fair point. I will follow official OpenBSD manuals.

I was looking in /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin.

I ended up just restarting with a fresh OpenBSD install, pkg_added g95 and then I came up with what was probably the same problem I had just had.

It installs egfortran and i386-unknown-openbsd4.3- files/directories. I am assuming that the package has been updated in the last couple of days, which is why I am finding this difference. I will endeavour to read up on OpenBSD and the package system soon, but I have at least got a functioning compiler.

When compiling I receive errors from gcc-4.2 about using strcpy(), sprintf() and strcat(). Is this something to do with OpenBSD gcc (3.3.5) being modified to force all calls to the safer versions of the above functions, while gcc-4.2 is not?

Thanks for the assistance, sorry to ask questions that are no doubt covered in online manuals.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
I am assuming that the package has been updated in the last couple of days, which is why I am finding this difference.
Packages targeting OpenBSD 4.3-release will not have changed from when 4.3-release was released April 1, 2008. It would be good for you to review information on the packages/ports system by reading Section 15 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

Likewise, you should familiarize yourself with how OpenBSD classifies its three flavors. This is covered in Section 5.1:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
When compiling I receive errors from gcc-4.2 about using strcpy(), sprintf() and strcat().
Most likely these were warnings. Compilation should be allowed to continue if these functions are used.
Quote:
Is this something to do with OpenBSD gcc (3.3.5) being modified to force all calls to the safer versions of the above functions, while gcc-4.2 is not?
Basically, yes. gcc(1) as BSDfan666 mentioned earlier is modified to promote more secure practices, however it does not force code to be changed.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2008
Banned

The warning messages printed at compile time, are not a GCC modification, it's simply a frequently unused feature of the GNU linker.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

__warn_references(printf, "Are you using printf????? Yay!!");

int
main(int argc, char **argv) {
	printf("This is a simplistic, unusual program.\n");
}
Results:
Code:
$ gcc example.c -o example
/tmp//ccw21238.o(.text+0x21): In function `main':
: Are you using printf????? Yay!!
$
The function is defined in <cdefs.h>, which is pulled in by <stdio.h>.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2008
More noise than signal

g95-4.2 has gcc-4.2 as a prereq -- in our terms, a "dependency". If you take a look at where gcc-4.2 is installed, and how it's named, using pkg_info(1) as above, you will see that gcc-4.2's main executable is /usr/local/bin/egcc. It is named egcc to avoid any confusion with the built-in gcc, cc, g++ ... executable components included in the comp*.tgz file set during install.

You will not use the 4.2 version of gcc to build any OS components or 3rd party ports unless you are both knowledgeable about the OpenBSD make system and jump through hoops to alter its operation. And then, you will eliminate security features included in OpenBSD's version of gcc which are not in gcc-4.2, assuming you get usable binary output ... which is unlikely.

Whatever problem you are having is not due to installing g95. My guess is that you have not taken sufficient time to read through FAQ 5 and FAQ 15 in sufficient detail.

Last edited by jggimi; 27th August 2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: clarity, typos