DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Although you haven't stated which CVSync server you are using, I can only guess that you are connecting to one which is running on AMD64. I have run into a similar problem some time back which is chronicled in the misc@ archives:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119470113431785&w=2

The solution is to use a different server which isn't running on AMD64 hardware.

Likewise, one of the best sources to search for information on OpenBSD is the Mailing list ARChive found at:

http://marc.info

You can diagnose a number of problems simply by searching there.

i googled the error and got that. so i tried switching servers and it timed out with the error

ssh: connect to host mirror.sg.depaul.edu port 22: connection timed out
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
Old 15th April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax0 View Post
ssh: connect to host mirror.sg.depaul.edu port 22: connection timed out
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
Again, you haven't provided any information about which servers you have already tried. Without any additional information, try another.
Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

i tried both ny servers then the chicago and toronto server. all of them are doing it.

i386 dell vostro a860 laptop.

jk the toronto is giving me a expand-modules with no arguments message.
Old 15th April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
i tried both ny servers then the chicago and toronto server. all of them are doing it.
Do you have some sort of NAT'ted firewall?
Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

nope, just my router flashed with dd-wrt.

but nope.
Old 15th April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
nope, just my router flashed with dd-wrt.
If you are getting the same error over & over, you may want to consider taking it temporarily out of your configuration.
Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

i think im going to reinstall openbsd because i decided to reboot, first reboot i got some error saying to do a trace and a ps and send that info w/e idc.

second it got to logi nscreen and wouldn't let me type.
Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

btw im using anoncvs servers.
Old 15th April 2009
Port Guard

update:

i updated all of it fine. thanks for being so patient with my lack of knowledge.
Old 15th April 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Code:
OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC) #1021: Tue Aug 12 17:16:55 MDT 2008
    joebob@hayseed.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
That is amazing! joebob built his one thousand and twenty first i386 kernel at the exact date and time Theo did! And he's in the same timezone!
Old 15th April 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
While we are on this subject, it should be clarified that while the kernel can be built with a non-root account which is a member of the wsrc group, building the userland still needs to be done as root.
This is true.

Most folks follow FAQ 5, but the definitive system build instructions are in the release(8) man page. There, it shows the kernel build being done by a normal user, but it shows the kernel install and the userland/xenocara builds being done with a blend of sudo and su.
Old 16th April 2009
Port Guard

How can I tell if it was successful?

The only noticeable difference is in uname -a output shows "GENERIC#0" (im not looking at it but i think that's what it says D:"
Old 16th April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
How can I tell if it was successful?
If you can reboot & the system doesn't crash, then this is a good indication that you may have built the kernel correctly.
Quote:
The only noticeable difference is in uname -a output shows "GENERIC#0"
Correct.
Old 16th April 2009
More noise than signal

Lots of ways to tell what kernel you're running. During the boot itself, if you're nervous, you can use "boot -c" at the boot> prompt, which will stop the kernel after the first few messages, to enter the user kernel configurator. Use "quit" at the UKC> prompt to continue after confirmation of the kernel you are running.

Once up, the easiest way to see what you're running is to use "sysctl kern.version". You could use "dmesg" but ... dmesg's wrap, and if you are rebooting a system with a BIOS that does not clear RAM, you may have multiple dmesg's to sort through. On a freshly powered up system, "dmesg|head -3" should work. The sysctl always works, however.
Old 16th April 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Lots of ways to tell what kernel you're running. During the boot itself, if you're nervous, you can use "boot -c" at the boot> prompt, which will stop the kernel after the first few messages, to enter the user kernel configurator. Use "quit" at the UKC> prompt to continue after confirmation of the kernel you are running.

Once up, the easiest way to see what you're running is to use "sysctl kern.version". You could use "dmesg" but ... dmesg's wrap, and if you are rebooting a system with a BIOS that does not clear RAM, you may have multiple dmesg's to sort through. On a freshly powered up system, "dmesg|head -3" should work. The sysctl always works, however.
thank you

OpenBSD 4.4-stable (GENERIC) #0

thanks for your easy help, the fellas at #openbsd on freenode are quite less helpful.

when i try to install opera with ports it stalls after it gets to 100%, don't know the reason why but I guess i'll have to find an alternative. (its not just opera, it did it for xfce4 too but i can just use pkg_add for it, opera i don't think it's on any package lists right?)

Last edited by ax0; 16th April 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 16th April 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
when i try to install opera with ports it stalls after it gets to 100%, don't know the reason why but I guess i'll have to find an alternative. (its not just opera, it did it for xfce4 too but i can just use pkg_add for it, opera i don't think it's on any package lists right?)
Hijacking your own thread, eh?

Opera cannot be distributed as a package due to licensing. But it is available as a "binary port" as it is a closed source application. The port merely places it in a package for install. (All ports build packages.)

I'm going to assume that because you are seeing a percentage complete, you have reached the point where the port is in its "make install" phase, and is running pkg_add(8) for you. You might be able to obtain more information by manually using pkg_add -v. The package can be found under /usr/ports/packages/<arch>/all/.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th April 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity of license phrase
Old 16th April 2009
Port Guard

So, I decided to follow a firefox flash tut which has you install opera-flash and then it installs opera as a dependancy.. and that worked.

and idk if that's the case cause i left it there for a while, and when i control+c it wont exit i have to exit the terminal completely. i left it there for about an hour and it didn't do anything.
Old 16th April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
i left it there for about an hour and it didn't do anything.
In general, we don't suggest following tutorials because:
  • Tutorials are frequently out of date, & give little if any indication as to what version was used when the tutorial was written.
  • All assumptions made in the tutorial are rarely explicitly mentioned.
  • Something unique about the author's configuration is not mentioned.
  • The author may or may not have understood the problem or clearly communicated a solution which works across numerous situations.
Many how-to's in the Linux world have matured such that they can somewhat be inherently trusted. Such is not the case in the OpenBSD world. This is a very small project. You are best to stay with information found in the project's FAQ & manpages.

If you are in serious need of Flash, OpenBSD may not be the best operating system for your situation. Some third-party applications such as gnash kinda sorta work, but it is not guaranteed to work with newer Flash versions. To search for what alternatives can be found in the packages/ports system, use the OpenPorts Website:

http://openports.se/search.php?so=flash
Old 16th April 2009
More noise than signal

The same procedure is used for dependencies as well as the "calling" package. So, I will guess that whatever the problem was, it was transitory.

While I understand your complaint, I cannot tell, from the information you've supplied, why the initial installation attempt hung. There are diagnostic tools that you might have used -- and because the pkg* tools are written in perl, even perl debugging traces -- but as you now have it installed, I guess it's moot.

Should you have problems with future package installations, start with pkg_add -v, then consider using top, systat, .... even perl -d if used carefully. This last is described well in perldebtut(1).
Old 16th April 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
In general, we don't suggest following tutorials because:
  • Tutorials are frequently out of date, & give little if any indication as to what version was used when the tutorial was written.
  • All assumptions made in the tutorial are rarely explicitly mentioned.
  • Something unique about the author's configuration is not mentioned.
  • The author may or may not have understood the problem or clearly communicated a solution which works across numerous situations.
Many how-to's in the Linux world have matured such that they can somewhat be inherently trusted. Such is not the case in the OpenBSD world. This is a very small project. You are best to stay with information found in the project's FAQ & manpages.

If you are in serious need of Flash, OpenBSD may not be the best operating system for your situation. Some third-party applications such as gnash kinda sorta work, but it is not guaranteed to work with newer Flash versions. To search for what alternatives can be found in the packages/ports system, use the OpenPorts Website:

http://openports.se/search.php?so=flash
The tutorial was null, in theory.

All I did was

cd /usr/ports/emulators/fedora
make install clean

then i went to the opera-flash port, installed that and it worked.

the hanging was when trying to install the opera port..

oops, now that I think of it maybe I needed to install the fedora emulator port because opera is linux version?