DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
Port Guard

Default [SOLVED] xorg.conf with HD5870 and 1440x900 resolution

Hello,

I use openBSD 5.1 stable together with my HD5870 graficcard and want to use 1440x900 on my openBSD workstation, cause I got an widescreen and 1280x1024 looks very unsharp (had the same problem solved in other operation systems like gentoo/debian, with 1440x900 it looks sharp).

Therefore to bring my correct resolution live in openBSD I tried several ways to solve it like:

xorg.conf
http://de.pastebin.ca/2160317

What I did so far:
1. First, I tried to use vesa with

Code:
DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1440x900"
        EndSubSection
to force my resolution. It failed.

2. I had several experience with Debian and Gentoo where
Code:
  HorizSync    30-107
        VertRefresh  48-120
solved my problems. Very often if these values were wrong, starting X ends up in blackscreens. But not here in openBSD, here I jump pack to 1280x1024, without blackscreen.

3. I tried to use given ModeLines, with openBSD it also failed with the result, given in 2.

4. I thought about using drivers like I can do it in gentoo/debian like: ati drivers. But they don't really exist here, as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong. But my first idea was to use vesa, cause it have to work, right?

Here is my logfile

Xorg.0.log

http://de.pastebin.ca/2160316

Can u assist me? Is my xorg.conf maybe wrong?

Last edited by openBSDheart; 12th June 2012 at 05:26 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
Spam Deminer

You are using the Xorg vesa driver (which is limited to just vesa resolutions), likely because the radeon driver in OpenBSD 5.1 isn't new enough to support your GPU. You can try specifying the radeon driver in your xorg.conf file (@line 60) but I have a feeling X will fail to start.

You can try updating to a newer version of xf86-video-ati. Theoretically you should at least be able to get basic modesetting working, giving you 1440x900, but you won't have any 2D or 3D acceleration.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Arp Constable

Your card is supported in current
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Spam Deminer

You have to be careful with that list in the man page. It's pulled straight from upstream, and is not accurate for the BSD operating systems. For example, at the very least, the BARTS, TURKS, CAICOS and CAYMAN chipsets won't work (at all) with the radeon driver on any BSD (due to lack of kernel modesetting).

Having said that, HD5xxx GPUs do not require KMS for basic modesetting in X and so 1440x900 should work if the radeon driver is new enough. Again, though, there will be no acceleration (which is also not made clear in that man page).

Adam
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Port Guard

thank you for your reply.

1. Is the radeon driver automatical installed in a new openBSD installation or do I have to use ports here? I also looked for xf86-video-ati, but did not get it
Cause I did not found it in ports yesterday night, or it was to late for me ?
2. Do you think my card will be supported one day?
3. Is there an other way to bring up my card with 1440x900?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
More noise than signal

Answers:

1. The driver is included in the xserv51.tgz fileset you installed. It is not a port. To update X, including drivers, you must install or upgrade to -current.

2. I don't have access to the X source at this moment in time -- and cannot tell you if that card is supported in -current or not. Your question about support in the future can only be answered by Xenocara developers. (Xenocara is the OpenBSD integration and packaging of X.Org software.)

3. No, the VESA driver can only use VESA resolutions.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Port Guard

Default [SOLVED] HD5870 works with 1440x900 in CURRENT, now

hello again,

my HD5870 works now with 1440x900, but only with CURRENT on openBSD5.1

thanks for your help so far. I tested a snapshot of 8.June 2012 used there a xorg.conf file generated with
Code:
X -configure
. There I changed the driver to radeon. After a long periode of waiting after
Code:
startx
watching a blackscreen (30 sec) I tried to leave this with [STRG][ALT][F1]. This does not work, but after further 10 sec of waiting there was a response, I could see one of my Dual Screens in 1440x900 (checked with using xrandr). The other screen failed.

But this is what I wanted. I bring up one screen with my resolution and can start to test with the configuration with my own now.

I want to say thanks to all of you on my hard way ^^
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
More noise than signal

I am very glad you got things working -- even partially.

As you are now running -current, you may want to share your experience, and discuss your partially working environment on the misc@ mailing list. The lead Xenocara developer (matthieu@) is active on that list, and he or his team may be able to work up patches for you to test. If you do receive any patches, you will find FAQ 5 very helpful in applying them to your system.

Before posting to misc@ for the first time, please read FAQ 2.2, http://www.openbsd.org/report.html, and http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html for guidance.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Port Guard

I'm rather new with openBSD, but of course, if we bring my screen to a more sharp mode (i will stay with this grafic card ^^). I often gave up due to display problems in the past.

But of course, I want to help! As far as I can. And I will do