DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2008
Spam Deminer

Default program for ssh to windows box and do many thing

Can we find , program we install it on Windows Box and use it , for example I can copy and past and see picture and movie and ssh to Windows box and control it and do many things ?
I want this program.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2008
Spam Deminer

there is answer
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
...and ssh to Windows box...
Recognize that you can only SSH into a box which has an SSH daemon or service running which can process incoming requests.

As far as I know, Cygwin provides an OpenSSH server with the tools that they provide. More information can be found on their Website:

http://cygwin.com/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Recognize that you can only SSH into a box which has an SSH daemon or service running which can process incoming requests.

As far as I know, Cygwin provides an OpenSSH server with the tools that they provide. More information can be found on their Website:

I didn't know what he was talking about but after your answer I think he probably wants something like

rdesktop (remote desktop)

The client is obviously ported to OpenBSD but he needs Windows machine which runs so called M$ Terminal Services. I know that Windows 2000 and NT
have those by default. Windows XP professional should have terminal services
but home edition is highly unlikly to have it.

TightVNC should have server version for Windows as well. The same goes for RealVNC. So he can VNC
to his Windows box but rDesktop is I think better solution.

There is lots of open source activity
for Windows I would not be surprised if they have something to say besides
above two solutions.

Last edited by Oko; 23rd November 2008 at 05:35 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I'm not quite sure if this is an answer for you, but there is winscp. It runs on the Windows machine and is a graphic client--it creates an ssh session to the BSD box, and you can copy files between them that way.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:

I check cyg and install it , it is nice and good and make something like terminal for windows , I can do many thing
but I can not ssh from OpenBSD box to Windows box ,
I need something I can ssh fro OpenBSD box to windows and do many thing
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I didn't know what he was talking about but after your answer I think he probably wants something like

rdesktop (remote desktop)

The client is obviously ported to OpenBSD but he needs Windows machine which runs so called M$ Terminal Services. I know that Windows 2000 and NT
have those by default. Windows XP professional should have terminal services
but home edition is highly unlikly to have it.

TightVNC should have server version for Windows as well. The same goes for RealVNC. So he can VNC
to his Windows box but rDesktop is I think better solution.

There is lots of open source activity
for Windows I would not be surprised if they have something to say besides
above two solutions.
I use TightVNC but I want connect with SSH , and I control my windows Box with SSH from OpenBSD box
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

As windows is has never had decent command line access, and command-line programs for windows are rather scarce, ssh access to a Windows box is never going to be all that exciting.

but do check out sysinternals stuff. He did make command line versions of many of his utilities. He was headhunted by microsoft a year or so back, but they still make most of his tools available. (I think MS got tired of having to refer to his 3rd party tools in their knowledge base so often - and knowing that he knew more about the internals of Windows than anyone they had on staff was a little galling, too!)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
...I can not ssh from OpenBSD box to Windows box ,
Since I do not use Windows as an SSH server, I can only point you to where this is discussed in the documentation:If this helps you, great. If it doesn't, then all I can do is point you to the documentation so you have sift through it yourself.
Old 24th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

check out copSSH
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Since I do not use Windows as an SSH server, I can only point you to where this is discussed in the documentation:If this helps you, great. If it doesn't, then all I can do is point you to the documentation so you have sift through it yourself.
I install cygwin and install openssh , but I do not know why I can not ssh from openBSD box to windows box , and I can ssh from windows box to other boxes.
Old 24th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

How about netcat? Install the nc.exe application on your Windows machine and execute within it's directory like so:

nc -l 8999 -d -e cmd.exe -L

this will invoke netcat to listen for remote connections on port 8999 and, when it detects one, it will then execute cmd.exe which will give you access to the Windows psuedo-command line interface. The -d flag lets you run this detached from a console and the -L flag indicates that this process should restart using the same CLI parameters next time.

Over on your OpenBSD box you just execute this on the command line:

nc <ip of the M$ box> 8999

Now, this isn't anywhere in the neighborhood of secure, since it will allow ANY connection attempted on port 8999, but it should give you the ability to use the remote command line and do, as requested, "many things"

If this was, for whatever reason, the way I was forced to connect to my M$ machines I would enforce a very strict firewall and use OpenVPN or something similar to connect to the local network before trying to connect to a listening netcat process. You don't want strangers connecting to your Windows machines and playing around. Well, maybe you do - I certainly don't. Come to think of it, I better go unplug those from the network just in case.....
Old 24th November 2008
More noise than signal

In order to have an SSH server running, you must start the sshd service. Google for "cygwin sshd" and you will find several how-to documents.

Keep in mind, mfaridi, that what you like to do -- copying/pasting commands without knowing what they do -- is generally a bad thing.
Old 28th November 2008
New User

Default Consider the right tools for the job...

You might want to rethink how you are appoarching this. Take a step back and look at what is available for remote administration. Try using somehting like webmin. They make a windows version that lets you configure about everything from web applcation portal. I like using webmin becuase you can cluster the servers and automate alot of sysadmin tasks. I would recommend against putting webmin on a port facing the internet.

-- side note I am looking for a way to pass WMI commands to windows from a UNIX eviroment. But I am just doing that for R and D. --