DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

Old 27th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptonm View Post
is there any one reason they dont?
Not enough of an installed desktop base for Adobe to bother. They don't make a native Acroread port for any BSD, either. That is not limited to Adobe, BTW; the BSD support by commercial vendors for desktop products is essentially non-existent.
Old 27th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
is there any one reason they dont?
Most likely because they don't see that the expense justifies any potential good will developed with the community. In other words, we're too small to matter.

This is a common story. Most vendors who depend upon OpenSSH (both larger corporations & small...) don't contribute to the project either. This includes some giants who actually bundle OpenSSH in their products.

Last edited by ocicat; 27th July 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 28th July 2008
Port Guard

I like some of the philosophies of free software, in particular, I admire the good will of those who develop under the bsd license, but perhaps a better idea than banning flash or hating those who abuse the bsd license would be to hold them accountable before the general public, to make information about bsd abuse more digestible to the masses.

Last edited by uptonm; 25th July 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 28th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
... hating those who abuse the bsd license would be to hold them accountable before the general public, to make information about bsd abuse more digestible to the masses.
This is in NO WAY an abuse of the BSD license. Indeed, it is the very idea of the BSD license. People develop under it to get their code used, and not to protect it behind some GNU nonsense.

One can argue that it would be "nice" to get more back (and that is mainly cash), but that is not the goal or the point. The point is to make good code that is used widely.

So there are no actions for which "they" can be held accountable.

Please set this idea aside.
Old 28th July 2008
More noise than signal

There is nothing legally wrong with a company making billions of euros or dollars using BSD or ISC licensed software, as long as the license is adhered to. Without giving back anything to anyone. Some few do, most don't. But the freedoms granted by the license are just that ... freedoms.

I'm going to request the license discussion be split into a separate thread, and moved into a non-OS specific forum.
Old 28th July 2008
Spam Deminer

As far as goodwill is considered, I don't even think it's really that (as far as OBSD is concerned.) It's developed by developers that want to see a solidly coded OS. You want to use it, and not give anything back? That's fine, that's one of the big reasons for using a BSD license.

First rule of OBSD fight club- no one talks about the users.
Second rule of OBSD fight club- no one talks about the users.
Third rule of OBSD fight club- no one talks about the users.

When no one talks about the users, then the devs don't feel they're owed anything from them, nor do the devs feel they owe them anything. You, as a user, want something specific in OBSD? It's easy, become a developer, or pay one.

To get a better idea of "expectations", here's Theo's take on it.
Banned

http://www.daemonforums.org/showpost...55&postcount=5

Flash is an interoperability nightmare, up until recently it was undocumented... a few OS projects exist, but it's still in it's infancy... personally I don't want to use it, same goes for Java, they may be opening it up, but I don't want that garbage on my system.