DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2018
hitest's Avatar
hitest hitest is offline
Real Name: George Nielsen
Package Pilot
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 217
Default Curious about /etc/installurl

I was reading the man page for /etc/installurl. As stated the file is created during installation. I appreciate that the file created is a Canadian mirror and syspatch works out of the box after installation. I am curious. Does the installer pick a mirror that is geographically closer to you? Or does the installer always default to the Canadian mirror? Very happy with OpenBSD 6.4; it is first rate!

Code:
bsd$ man installurl
INSTALLURL(5)                 File Formats Manual                INSTALLURL(5)

NAME
     installurl - OpenBSD mirror server location

DESCRIPTION
     The /etc/installurl file contains a single line specifying an OpenBSD
     mirror server URL, such as

           https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD

     It is created by the installer script during installations and upgrades
     over HTTP.

     Empty lines and lines beginning with `#' in the file are ignored.

FILES
     /etc/installurl

SEE ALSO
     pkg_add(1), syspatch(8)

OpenBSD 6.4                     August 23, 2018                    OpenBSD 6.4
bsd$
__________________
hitest
Reply With Quote
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2018
bsd-keith bsd-keith is offline
Real Name: Keith
Open Source Software user
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Surrey/Hants Border, England
Posts: 177
Default

I think you'll find it's Country/Region specific mine is likely somewhere in the UK.
(Not on my Beastie box just now, so can't check for sure.)
__________________
Linux since 1999, & also a BSD user.
Reply With Quote
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2018
hitest's Avatar
hitest hitest is offline
Real Name: George Nielsen
Package Pilot
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 217
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
I think you'll find it's Country/Region specific mine is likely somewhere in the UK.
(Not on my Beastie box just now, so can't check for sure.)
Thanks, mate. I live in Western Canada my mirror is:

Code:
bsd$ cat /etc/installurl
https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD
__________________
hitest
Reply With Quote
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2018
ibara's Avatar
ibara ibara is offline
Future Defcon 201 speaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
I was reading the man page for /etc/installurl. As stated the file is created during installation. I appreciate that the file created is a Canadian mirror and syspatch works out of the box after installation. I am curious. Does the installer pick a mirror that is geographically closer to you? Or does the installer always default to the Canadian mirror? Very happy with OpenBSD 6.4; it is first rate!
What makes you assume that cdn.openbsd.org is a Canadian mirror?
CDN stands for "content delivery network," see the Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network
It will select the fastest mirror for you, which may or may not be located in Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2018
IdOp's Avatar
IdOp IdOp is offline
Too dumb for a smartphone
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: twisting on the daemon's fork(2)
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
CDN stands for "content delivery network," see the Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network
It will select the fastest mirror for you, ...
Great info! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2018
sacerdos_daemonis's Avatar
sacerdos_daemonis sacerdos_daemonis is offline
Real Name: Will forever be a secret.
Spam Deminer
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 222
Default

If a Canadian mirror ended with a Canadian specific address it would most likely be .ca
__________________
OpenBSD 6.4
Reply With Quote
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2018
hitest's Avatar
hitest hitest is offline
Real Name: George Nielsen
Package Pilot
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 217
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
What makes you assume that cdn.openbsd.org is a Canadian mirror?
CDN stands for "content delivery network," see the Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network
It will select the fastest mirror for you, which may or may not be located in Canada.
That was a faulty assumption on my part. This is excellent information. Thanks for the information, ibara!
__________________
hitest
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
curious ? frcc OpenBSD General 6 5th November 2014 04:05 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2007-2010, the authors
Daemon image copyright ©1988, Marshall Kirk McKusick