DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2010
Port Guard

Default Need to move wireless access "inside" the firewall

I have a simple home network that uses a router with a firewall and a wireless access point, like so:

Code:
Internet (DSL/POTS line)
  |
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2WIRE ROUTER
  |
4.8 FIREWALL
  |
Home Network
Right now my wife's and son's wireless devices access the internet via the router's wireless on the 10.0.0.0 network. I'd like to move them inside the firewall to 192.168.1.0, and turn off the router's wireless access point. Can I do this by putting a PCI wireless adapter on the firewall and giving them 192.168.1.0 or would I have to create a third network and a set of rules to get them into 192? Lastly, I'll take any recommendations for such wireless cards.

thx,

tf
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefronny View Post
...would I have to create a third network and a set of rules to get them into 192?
Yes.

You may find Hansteen's The Book of PF (second edition) to be a reasonable resource on pf(4). This book is based on an earlier work:

http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/

...which is freely available.
Quote:
Lastly, I'll take any recommendations for such wireless cards.
It appears that ath(4), ral(4), & perhaps athn(4) may be reasonable choices. Information on common cards supporting these chipsets can be found by studying their respective manpages.

Having an overview of what wireless drivers are currently supported by OpenBSD would be helpful knowledge. This can be generated by the following command:

$ man -k wireless

Finally, it would be more than worth your time to further research this question by studying the comments which have been made on the official misc@ mailing list. One favorite archive site is:

http://marc.info/

However, others exist. More archive sites are listed at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

I have an old ral(4) card and can confirm getting it to work as a host AP under OpenBSD 4.8 ... although I haven't done much with it. It's not too hard once you read the man pages often enough. It's actually a pretty nice set-up, as I've been struggling to do the same thing with Linux and haven't gotten it to work yet.