DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
Package Pilot

Default installing openbsd

How do i write the image file(cd43.iso) into pendrive using freebsd command?
I found that cd43.iso just a 5MB file, what files does it included? I need to install gnome and other applications through ports?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
New User

Well, I can't speak for the commands to unpack it (and I assume you want it to be bootable) onto the pendrive, but you downloaded the older way of installing. In the old way, you had this small agent (5mb) that would start the install, and you then pointed it to the actual location of the packages (on the net or an ftp server you had predetermined). Check this link for more info

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq3.html#ISO

That should tell you what you need. If you are planning on putting the whole OpenBSD install on your pendrive, that option is certainly available to you, you just need to download the right iso.

Last edited by gamaliel; 30th May 2008 at 03:34 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
More noise than signal

The CD image is a CD9660 file system, using an El Torito boot. This works for CDs, but will not work for flash drives. They need MBRs, just like a hard drive. I do not know of any way to make a CD9660 file system bootable on a hard drive.

If you cannot use any of the install media (diskette, CD, network) then you can either yank your hard drive and insert it into a different computer that can, or, you can build your own bootable pen drive from another, pre-existing OpenBSD system. You need the ramdisk kernel and the second stage boot loader in an OpenBSD FFS file system, and you need a PBR installed in the MBR to point to the second stage boot loader.

Network boot for install should be an option, and it does not require a pre-existing OpenBSD system. Specific needs vary by architecture. Since you're asking about bootable USB connected flash drives, I'll assume either i386 or amd64: those merely requires a NIC on the installing system that supports PXE, and a configurable DHCP server and a TFTP server on your local network.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th May 2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: clarity
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
More noise than signal

If network install is not an option, booting the cd43.iso image on a computer of the same architecture that has a BIOS which can boot the El Torito CD gives you the ramdisk kernel, and this is enough of OpenBSD to build a bootable pen drive.

This is basic process. Disclaimer: this is untested, from my fallable memory. Use this only as a guide. Look up the commands and what they do before doing any of them. Some settling of contents may occur during shipping. All models over 18.
  1. Boot the CD
  2. At the "Install, Upgrade or Shell" prompt, select the shell.
  3. Insert the pen drive. You will see kernel messages about the insertion, including the virtual SCSI drive # assigned to the drive. For this example, I will use "sd0" but it may be another number.
  4. Put an MBR on the drive, reserve all space as a single MBR partition for OpenBSD:
    # fdisk -iy sd0
  5. Put an OpenBSD disklabel on the drive, assign all available space as a single "a" partition on sd0:
    # disklabel -E sd0
    Use "a a" to add partition a, take the defaults for all prompts, once the partition is created, use the "q" command to exit the disklabel program. Answer "y" to write the disklabel.
  6. Format the "a" partition on sd0 as an OpenBSD FFS partition:
    # newfs sd0a
  7. Mount it:
    # mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
  8. Copy the second stage boot loader and the ramdisk kernel to it:
    # cp /bsd.rd /mnt
    # cp /usr/mdec/boot /mnt
  9. Create an /etc/boot.conf on the drive so you do not have to request the ramdisk kernel manually at boot time:
    # mkdir /mnt/etc
    # echo set image /bsd.rd > /mnt/etc/boot.conf
  10. Install the PBR:
    # /usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/biosboot sd0
  11. Unmount the pen drive:
    # umount /mnt

Last edited by jggimi; 30th May 2008 at 05:54 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Package Pilot

Which one is the most easy way to install? I really not familiar with openbsd...
I intend to have a dual boot with vista but I'm not sure with the partitioning in openbsd cause it using cylinder.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
More noise than signal

For those unfamiliar with Unix-like systems, in order of ease:

1. Boot from the local network -- this requires only TFTP and DHCP servers on the local subnet. See pxeboot(8) for setup details.
  2. Move the hard drive to another system that can boot CD or boot diskette -- if moving an IDE drive from laptop to desktop, this requires a 2.5" IDE adapter on the desktop.
  3. Follow the 11-steps outlined above.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
Package Pilot

I'm planing to install openbsd in my laptop which iso suit best? cd43.iso or install43.iso??
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdnewbie999 View Post
I'm planing to install openbsd in my laptop which iso suit best? cd43.iso or install43.iso??
  • install43.iso contains a bootable kernel + all file sets needed for installation.
  • cd43.iso contains a bootable kernel only.
More information on installation can be found in Section 4 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Overview
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
What OS do you have on your laptop now..???
If you are running M$ or Linux then I would try VmWare to get familiar with
the installation..

I would suggest VirtualBox but it currently has issues with OpenBSD..
i.e. Seg Faults..

Another vote for install43.iso

hth
rk
Spam Deminer

Virtual PC 2007, which is zero-cost, runs 4.3 just fine. I put together a 10Gigabyte .vhd installation together that is already configured for our LAN at work, as a way to introduce coworkers to OpenBSD.
Package Pilot

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that on virtual machine first. I have some problems with CHS format because i don understand how to allocate BIOS starting cylinder, head and sector. I'm planning to make a dual boot between XP and openbsd and I'm afraid that wrong allocation will break the XP.
Old 13th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
I have some problems with CHS format because i don understand how to allocate BIOS starting cylinder, head and sector. I'm planning to make a dual boot between XP and openbsd and I'm afraid that wrong allocation will break the XP.
Three points to you should take away:
  • When multibooting Windows with anything, install Windows first.
  • There is a question during installation:
    Code:
    Do you want to use *all* of wd0 for OpenBSD? [no]  no
    ...which determines whether the boot sector is to be overwritten or not. More information can be found in Section 4.5.2 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Disks
  • Multibooting with Windows XP is covered in the FAQ as well. See Section 4.8 for information on copying the PBR to Windows in order to use Windows' boot manager.

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multibooting
You will also save yourself a significant amount of anxiety by studying all of Section 4 which covers the entire installation process:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

Last edited by ocicat; 13th June 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 4th May 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
# echo set image /bsd.rd > /mnt/etc/boot.conf
I'm resurrecting this old thread to make a correction.

As of -current installlation scripting, and therefore for 4.6 this fall, "set image" is no longer considered best practice.

The install script sets the appropriate kernel as "/bsd".
"set image" is only available for i386/amd64 and not for other architectures.