DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
Shell Scout

Question macppc - Powerbook 12"

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an infrastructure where I can test my ports work on as many processor architectures as possible. To that end, I set up an i386 box (an old Thinkpad T21), a sparc64 box (my old SunBlade 100) and am now trying to recycle my old 12" Powerbook so I can do 32-bit PPC builds.

Unfortunately, I'm hitting a wall. I have done everything in my power to get this to boot after the install but I keep getting the "missing system folder" graphic and can't boot from OpenFirmware.

I dedicated the entire disk to OpenBSD and took the default disk layout (there is an "i" MSDOS partition of 1M at the front of the drive) but it still won't boot.

If anyone could please point out the n00b mistake I made, I will be more than happy to take my medicine. I've read the docs over and over, searched here to no avail and my general Google-fu failed me yet again.

Any help would be appreciated.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceverly View Post
...and am now trying to recycle my old 12" Powerbook so I can do 32-bit PPC builds.
Historically, there have been few members here owning up to running Apple hardware. While someone may chime up, history indicates that posting to the project mailing lists may be a more fruitful endeavor.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
Fdisk Soldier

You have to hold the OPTION key after you press the power button before you here the chime to get in the boot menue (hold the key till you are there). Choose there the disc to boot. It doesn't work, that the system boots as you know it from OS X. I have here a intel MacBook from 2008. A remote reboot requires this too.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2015
Shell Scout

@NaWi - thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I had committed the entire disk to OpenBSD and had no Mac partitions there.

What I ended up doing to solve my problem is manually formatting the wd0i partition as MSDOS and copying the ofwboot file to it. That fixed the issue. Not sure why the installer didn't pick that up, but all is good now.

Thanks everyone.