DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
asemisldkfj
-Guest-

Default automatic or timed suspend on battery

is there any way on OpenBSD to do an acpi suspend/sleep after a certain idle time while on battery power? I know how to do trigger this with the lid switch and from the command line, but I'd like the laptop to go to sleep after 15 or 20 minutes of idle time on battery power.

or if this isn't possible, sleeping when the battery gets to a critical level would be nice. I think I'd be able to do this pretty easily with a shell script and cron, but I'd really prefer to be able to set an idle timeout. any ideas? I can seem to find any documentation on this.

and I would like to do this with minimal third-party software. no gnome power manager or anything like that.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
Banned

No gnome power manager even exists for BSD, so no worries.. it's not even an option.

I don't believe their is any mechanism to automatically suspend the system when idle for a specified period, however, as you said.. you could script something and run it with cron(8), but constant polling would be required which would skew the calculations, and what of false positives? even a system in use running GUI programs could be mostly idle with brief unnoticeable activity spikes.

Closing the lid (..after toggling the sysctl), and perhaps executing zzz manually are probably the best options.. OpenBSD has two battery monitors now sysutils/xbatt and sysutils/xbattbar, so that might be of assistance.

Good luck though, if you find a good solution, let us know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
asemisldkfj
-Guest-

I think I'll be ok with just the lid switch. I shouldn't be leaving my laptop running on battery power unattended at all anyway.

and gnome-power-manager is in ports now.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
Banned

Hmm, does it support apm(4)?