DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 28th October 2008
Port Guard

Ah, sorry. I cannot quote that well. If you look in the box in my reply, my answers are under each of your questions.
Old 28th October 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I am not sure to the first question.
USB devices use these connectors:

Quote:
I also deleted drive H:
That should free up 185GB.
Quote:
...I used the default sizes for OpenBSD. I still did not have the room to install it...
Would you be kind enough to elaborate? What do you mean by "no room?" What "defaults" are you using?
Quote:
That is the tutorial I was going to follow.
NO! You found an out-of-date "howto" document that is almost seven years old. Don't read it. Don't follow it. There have been hundreds of thousands of changes to OpenBSD since 3.0-release, which was released at the end of 2001.

Use the FAQ.
Old 28th October 2008
More noise than signal

A few points about OpenBSD "HowTo" documents, found in the wild. The OpenBSD Project is opposed to them, culturally, because:
  • They are usually written by new users, who are justifiably proud of their accomplishment.
  • They often do not take into account that readers may not have the exact same software or hardware environment as the author.
  • They often do not take into account that readers may have less knowledge than the author.
  • They often do not carefully explain the reasons a particular command or instruction is recommended, nor what that command or instruction actually does.
  • They are often unmaintained and out of date.
That doesn't mean all "Howto" documents are bad. I posted one recently in the Guides section on this forum. Rather, whenever you elect to read a guide you found in the wild, keep these likely weaknesses in mind.

Long time OpenBSD users are more likely to submit FAQ updates, when applicable, or perhaps submit articles for publication in the OpenBSD Journal.
Old 28th October 2008
Administrator

If you are looking for tutorial information about how to install OpenBSD, study Section 4 of the FAQ. Coupled with the information found in the manpages, this is all the information you will need to install the operating system.

As jggimi had already stated, don't be led to believe that finding tutorials in the wild excuses you from learning or understanding OpenBSD. We bail out a lot of people who have deluded themselves that some tutorial they have found answers all the questions they need to know, so if they follow these tutorials closely enough, they won't have to understand anything about what they are doing. Frequently by the time they post here, they have dug a hole so deep that there is little chance for them to salvage their data.

Learn from our experience. Study the FAQ.
Old 1st November 2008
Demon Daemon

The thing is, it's pretty easy to do, if you have the right tools. When I need to make dual boot with Windows (prefer not), then I get Acronis Disk Director. It has the possibility to resize Windows partitions (NTFS, FAT, you name it). Then I create a primary partition, and choose not to format it. With a right click, choose advanced, and choose set type (or something). From there you can select A6h, in other words, OpenBSD. Apply the changes (will require a reboot), and pop in the OpenBSD disk.

Now you`ve got a properly configured OpenBSD partition, to install to. If dual booting fails, you can use the tool that came with Disk Director, which supports booting nearly all operating systems possible.