DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 9th May 2018
More noise than signal

You could also try a -current snapshot. The re(4) driver received an update to how it maps control registers in April of this year.
Old 9th May 2018
Always learning

Frankly I don't want to download a snapshot coz I have to re download again when its released.

Isn't it a moving target ?
Old 9th May 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
Frankly I don't want to download a snapshot coz I have to re download again when its released.
That is your choice.
Quote:
Isn't it a moving target ?
Yes. -Current is the development branch of the OS. A snapshot is a point-in-time release(8) of the -current source tree.
Old 23rd September 2018
Always learning

I have found a workaround. Instead of connecting to the Internet directly I have connected OpenBSD via a router. I have no idea why it doesnt work if I directly connect the RJ45 to my PC.
Old 23rd September 2018
parrot

Well that is good you found a work around, how ever, there would be a better chance of finding out why, if you take the time to submit a bug report. If you try the most recent snapshot, as suggested, and the issue is fixed, great,...
Quote:
jggimi > You could also try a -current snapshot. The re(4) driver received an update to how it maps control registers in April of this year.
If it still is occurring, then the developers would know to look for the cause of the problem, and perhaps fix it in the next snapshot, or release.
I guess, maybe someone else has encountered the same issue, and took the time, but if not , then it is very unlikely there will be any changes, (related to this).
Quote:
bsd007>>I will just wait for the next release and download it when it gets released. Try it and see if there is any improvement.
Many of the "improvements" or fixes are based on if and when people submit bug reports, etc, taking part in making the OS better, I guess I don't need to say any more.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 23rd September 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 23rd September 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
I have found a workaround. Instead of connecting to the Internet directly I have connected OpenBSD via a router. I have no idea why it doesnt work if I directly connect the RJ45 to my PC.
This is indicative of a PHY - to - PHY mismatch of some kind. Examples may include using an Ethernet crossover cable when a straight-through cable is required. If so, the additional device - the in-home router - might support "Auto MDI-X" and be able to use either crossover or straight-through cabling while the ISP may not.
Old 24th September 2018
Always learning

Thanks to both for the replies.
Old 24th September 2018
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
This is indicative of a PHY - to - PHY mismatch of some kind. Examples may include using an Ethernet crossover cable when a straight-through cable is required. If so, the additional device - the in-home router - might support "Auto MDI-X" and be able to use either crossover or straight-through cabling while the ISP may not.
I forgot to add that Ubuntu connected just fine. Do you still think its PHY - to - PHY mismatch ?
Old 24th September 2018
More noise than signal

Yes, because I don't have enough information about the environment to determine any other cause.