DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

# sysctl kern.version
kern.version=OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC.MP) #844: Tue Aug 12 17:24:39 MDT 2008
deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sy...ile/GENERIC.MP

This is the beginning of "dmesg"

# dmesg
OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC) #1021: Tue Aug 12 17:16:55 MDT 2008
deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

Oops. I'm going back through the attachments, and note that these are wrapping dmesg's. Look through your dmesgdis, and you will see the GENERIC.MP dmesg follows after the uniprocessor dmesg.
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

WARNING: / was not properly unmounted
WARNING: clock time much less than file system time
WARNING: using file system time
WARNING: CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
syncing disks...
OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC.MP) #844: Tue Aug 12 17:24:39 MDT 2008
deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sy...ile/GENERIC.MP

Is this part it? I scrolled down about 1/3 of the way
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

Yes, and in the ACPI MP kernel, there is no apparent change, cbb reports that cardbus support is disabled in the same manner as the UP kernel.

I can't tell why, from examining your various dmesgs why this might be the case. I'll have time to look through the driver source code this evening, meanwhile, if you can share your motherboard make/model (if a custom computer) or PC make/model, perhaps we can find an online manual that would show possible BIOS settings that might have an impact.
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

http://www.uniwill.com/UserDownload/245II0/245II0.php
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

I downloaded and read the manuals, (They're available in sooo many languages..).

245_E_2_01.pdf appears to be about BIOS configuration, unfortunately the documented options do not appear to be very useful.

In the product specifications, they mention this laptop has a MiniPCI slot.. and USB 2.0 is supported as well, both are viable ways to get Wireless.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance..
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

OK, now I have an idea of why cardbus0 and ath0 aren't enabled when using ACPI. There is a problem with bus enumeration from the hardware.

A quick peek at the source code for cbb(4) found this comment above the kernel message in sys/dev/pci/pccbb.c:
Quote:
/*
* When bus number isn't set correctly, give up using 32-bit CardBus
* mode.
*/
if (((busreg >> 8) & 0xff) == 0) {
printf(", CardBus support disabled");
sc->sc_pcmcia_flags |= PCCBB_PCMCIA_16BITONLY;
}

printf("\n");
There have been two patches to this module since 4.4 in -current, neither apply in this area.

------------

Thank you for the vendor download link!

BIOS Version:

It's possible a more up-to-date BIOS may help. The September '04 BIOS addresses what look like several ACPI issues, though none of the newer releases appear to do so. I would flash the most recent BIOS, which is four years old.

BIOS Settings:

Looking through the BIOS settings in Chapter 2 of the manual, it appears there is a "Load Optimized Defaults" setting, but no alternative "Load Safe Defaults" -- which I would have recommended, if such a setting existed. There is a "High Performance Mode" which you might consider disabling, just to see if it makes a difference.

Additional thoughts:

Your PC does not appear in the OpenBSD Project's i386-laptop page -- but if you examine it (www.openbsd.org/i386-laptop.html) you can see what problems other laptops with similar hardware have had.

Your specific model has never had mention in misc@, nor in any bug report.
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

Additional Additional Thoughts:

You can consider posting to the misc@ mailing list-- there are thousands of readers, some of whom may have your hardware themselves. The OpenBSD community here is very tiny in comparison.

If you elect to post to misc@, you should:
  • consider installing a current snapshot (or experimenting with the problem just using a snapshot kernel) to confirm that no patches since 4.4-release are applicable to the problem, even if you don't want to actually run with -current (or 4.5-beta) going forward.
  • post applicable dmesg output in-line with your e-mail; attachments are not permitted on misc@. Be sure to trim any "wrapped" dmesg so you only post the applicable one(s).
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

I'll flash the BIOS first to see if it does anything. I've put off from flashing it because I've always been a little afraid something might go wrong
Old 12th February 2009
Spam Deminer

While I'm sure that there are many that can contradict my account, in my experience I've only seen one mobo fail a BIOS upgrade- and it already had problems. In contrast, I've seen tons of hard drives and power supplies fail. So go for it!
Port Guard

Okay, so updating the BIOS didn't do anything.

I have a Mini PCI-e wireless card, but this board only has Mini PCI slot

I guess I'll have to test 4.5-Beta. I'm not sure about how to upgrade. I'm reading the upgrade guide here: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade44.html and I just want to confirm that I will be doing this correctly.

I get the bsd.rd from this mirror: ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386 then I reboot with the new bsd.rd replaced (like the instructions BSDfan666 gave earlier for the generic.mp) then I follow these steps: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade44.html#final

Is this correct?

Last edited by JohnHicks; 13th February 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 13th February 2009
Banned

Yes, that's right.. except those upgrade instructions are for 4.4 only.

It's much easier to just reinstall the snapshot cleanly, the upgrade path will require updating /etc manually.
Old 13th February 2009
Port Guard

Okay I'd rather do a fresh re-install anyway. So I will just download install45.iso from that mirror and do the exact same thing I did to install the 4.4 CD right
Old 13th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHicks View Post
So I will just download install45.iso from that mirror and do the exact same thing I did to install the 4.4 CD right
Yes, & you will save yourself aggravation by familiarizing yourself with the official FAQ -- in particular Section 5.1 since many of your questions (past & future...) are answered there:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
Old 13th February 2009
More noise than signal

If you're still having problems after 4.5-beta, it will be time to give up on help from our small group and post the issue to @misc.
Old 13th February 2009
Port Guard

Ugh the same exact problems persist with 4.5-beta. Everything

jggimi can you help me to post on the @misc thing? I'm not sure how to go about it
Old 13th February 2009
Banned

I'm not sure if misc@ is the right list or not, either that or bugs@ though.

As mentioned, these are mailing lists.. contactable via email, there are rules though.

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

The basics are, don't use HTML/MIME formatted email.. break lines after 72 characters.. and no attachments.

Hope it helps.
Old 13th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHicks View Post
jggimi can you help me to post on the @misc thing? I'm not sure how to go about it
I'm not jggimi, but the first thing to do is read the page on mailing lists:

http://openbsd.org/mail.html

Information on subscribing to misc@ can be found there.
Old 13th February 2009
More noise than signal

"I'm not a jggimi, though I play one on TV."

The misc@ mailing list can be a rough-and-tumble place. The key to success on misc@ is to show you've done your homework, and to have the attitude that you need assistance gathering more information, in order to solve your problem.

In this case, you've shared your homework with us, already. I have a feeling you'll be asked to collect data via an attempt to console break into ddb(4), as I described in post #4 in this thread. You may actually want to do that now, and report the results of a backtrace in your posting, along with your dmesgs. If you're interested in giving that a try, read crash(8), first, then ddb(4) and gdb(1). If, after that, you find you're still interested ... but want some hand-holding, let us know and we'll provide assistance.

Your post should include both an APM and an ACPI dmesg, as we've discussed above. But not an "old" one from 4.4-release. You started there, and eventually tested with a recent snapshot. In your post, you can say so, but since you've tested with -current, include -current dmesg's.

Don't link to this thread. The majority of readers will be using text-based mail clients, and will have no interest in going outside of their mail program to read about the problem. Really.
Old 13th February 2009
Port Guard

It feels like this stuff is over my head, but I really want to make this work so I want to do this.

I have about 1GB of swap and 150MB for /var so is that enough?
Then I have to do # sysctl ddb.console=1, make my machine freeze on purpose with the ifconfig ath0 command or pulling out my wireless card (both cause my system to freeze up), press Ctrl+Alt+Esc (I'm not sure what a "serial console" is), and then do some ddb(4) commands (not sure which ones yet, I was hoping you could help with that), and make it log everything about the freeze with dmesg. Then examine the logs with gdb. What do I need to modify in the kernel in order for gdb to work?