DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

Default Wine on OpenBSD 4.3

Anyone running it or have any good links to the installation/setup instructions. I have read most of what I can find but many files such as winecfg seem to be missing from openBSD pkg.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
More noise than signal

Sigh.

Note that the version of WINE available for OpenBSD dates from 1999. This is because newer versions of WINE contain many Linux-specific technologies.

The only thing I have *ever* gotten to work with OpenBSD's WINE is sol.exe from Windows 95. Nothing else, and nothing from any newer versions of Windows.

If you require Windows Applications, either set up a multiboot environment and run Windows natively (or Linux/WINE), or run Windows in a virtual machine.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Banned

Right, that old Wine port is for nostalgic reasons only..

I believe the issue with modern Wine is thread related, but honestly none of the developers seem interested in such a port anyway..

jggimi is right, if you own a previous Windows licence, multiboot.. or install it in QEMU or something, that might violate the EULA but who honestly cares eh?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

I have been trying to get a virtual windows machine running on OpenBSD for awhile now but all the technology I looked at didn't seem to support OpenBSD as a host OS. Will QEMU do that? If i could get a windows MMC console to work with OpenBSD I could finally leave MS land forever, never to return.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
More noise than signal

Yes, qemu can be used to run Windows. But use standard installation media from Microsoft, not an OEM "image" disc from a PC manufacturer. Those are hardware configuration specific, and none will match the qemu virtual machine.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Yes, qemu can be used to run Windows. But use standard installation media from Microsoft, not an OEM "image" disc from a PC manufacturer. Those are hardware configuration specific, and none will match the qemu virtual machine.
And while that's true, unfortunately in most cases that means shelling out $$$...

But it was mentioned that with MMC capabilities you'd leave Windows forever... does that mean if you had the equivalent functionality of the MMC in OBSD? Or are you really looking to run a particular program from Windows in OBSD?

I remember that the main problem I ran into ages ago when trying to run WINE in Linux (Fedora) was that any program with .NET requirements (and that means even needing .NET to merely install the application as is now typically the case) would render the WINE installation useless. So even if you could get it 'working' I'm not sure how much enjoyment you'd get from it.

And lastly, that pesky "Windows Validation" junk kept getting harder and harder to get around... not sure if the WINE developers found a way around these two hurdles, as I left WINE and Linux a long time ago for OBSD... and been happy ever after.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Port Guard

good stuff everyone. I have started building a new OBSD machine for QEMU / reactOS or win VM. (hence the other matrox posts :-)) I have multiple MS action pack subscriptions as well as an MSDN universal license so getting valid software is not a problem. I have spent the last decade porting stuff over from unix to windows in a never ending fight to get my OS to treat me like an adult and recently I threw in the towel. Windows *could* do anything *nix could do if MS would stop intentionally breaking stuff so my grandma can play scrabble on AOL with one less virus. I gave up on windows even though MS/RIAA were nice enough to give me temporary permission to play my own media on the copy of vista I lease.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Port Guard

All that ramble and I didn't answer the question. I work for a large company as a software engineer and have to live in a windows world. I need to manage many many windows machines and run IIS, .net, SQL server ect everywhere. I have made lot of progress with OBSD, read a samba book and see that it can do much of the network management i have to do. Rdesktop works great. Made a network bridge, a firewall, vpn, proxy, dns server and on and on. I love it but I still need to be able to manage those win apps from my desktop. A vm would be perfect. I could run BSD local and have a win vm joined to the domain to do that stuff. As a server I can replace tons of stuff we do on 2003 now with OBSD for free and have it run better on less hardware. great potential. When the free version is better than what is sold, then what is sold has no value and people will eventually stop buying it.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
New User

Will VNC work for you? I have used VNC on mixed platforms in the past and recently installed the "tightvnc" package on OpenBSD 4.3 and it works very well.
You could run a VNS server on a machine in the domain and vncviewer on your OpenBSD box.
Old 21st May 2008
Spam Deminer

or you could do what I do (because work-wise I'm in the same position you are)...

load up Virtual-PC 2007 (which is completely free $-wise), then install OBSD on it.

In fact I have a very nice 4.3 installation on a .vhd that's about 10 Gigs in size. When someone at work inquires about OBSD, I let them have that copy (it already has the networking configured for our LAN so it literally works outta the box.)

The cool thing about this is showing someone how much easier and more efficient something can do on OBSD running on top of a windows installation than the windows installation itself... priceless.
Port Guard

I have a full VMware ESX license and setup as well as Workstation. I run OpenBSD VMs there. I just like the ESX model with a minimal, stable base OS and lately I don't want to work on anything thats not opensource if i can avoid it. with a non MS base OS i can run numerous extra virtual appliances including another complete windows vm on the same hardware. I setup reactOS inside qemu and in a few years thats going to be sweet if reactOS stays on schedule. That would not only satisfy all my needs but the base os, the vm layer, and the vm machine itself would all be 100% open source as far as I can tell.
I installed win 2003 enterprise in qemu and i can get it to join the domain and other things but blue screen every time with windows update. Its 2003 sp1, IE 6.0. I've tried with and without kqemu and using the no-acpi flag causes my vm to not boot at all. Thanks to everyone for the help. Often My questions are more to understand rather than getting anything productive done. I could very easily vnc from win to bsd. I can rdesktop from bsd to win as well. I could run vmware on linux. Many people at work try and give me a MAC saying that its BSD . There are many ways I could do it, but i want to do it a new way that i have never done before, with OpenBSD. :-)

Anyone running 2003 in qemu and able to update it via windowsupdate website?