DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2009
New User

Default Free BSD installation on Super Floppy?

Hello,

I have a complicated question, besides of it I'm newbie but would like to learn. So I'd like to make a bootable usb stick with free bsd distro on it but also it must be recognized like some of the formats of the super floppy (LS-120, ZIP or MO) from my BIOS. I found a way to make the stick bootable with mounted pcbsd distro on it but it not formatted like super floppy what is actually the point. My pc can only boot from USB emulation of super floppy (LS-120, ZIP or MO) and the distro I mount on the usb stick recognizes on the other pc's like usb-hdd which is not working for me. Any help will be appreciated.

10x a lot in advance!

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 10th February 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Links to other forums are OK, but this forum is not an ad board for other forums ...
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2010
KING

Your PC has out dated bios. New motherboards now have bios that allow you to select USB devices as boot target. Including USB stick (flash)drives.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

As previously observed in order to use bootable USB stick the BIOS has to support USB boot. Actually for purposes of the boot USB stick looks like a Floppy disk even though once the system is booted USB stick is SCSI HDD.

I have never tried to boot from ZIP drive nor heard of anybody doing it. I might try and let you know how it goes. I have a feeling that it should be as easy as booting from regular SCSI HDD since ZIP is just a SCSI HDD from the point of view of the kernel.

What is the purpose of all that? If you want to install on an old system which has no optical drive the easiest thing is to boot from the floppy and do network installation. The only problem is that FreeBSD doesn't have any more boot floppies since FreeBSD considers it obsolete feature. It is however the best way to install Open and NetBSD.

PXE boot is definitely an option if your BIOS
supports it.