DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Old 3rd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Google's Omnibox could be Pandora's box
Arp Constable

The sources and dependencies seem to be under license terms that I can live with, the service terms I had to agree to for downloading the windows binary, are fairly standard issue enough; and in fact I did agree to the usage statistics thing. I consider the browser to be software with an integration into their search service. Which is not exactly the same as Firefox, which doesn't say anything (in obvious places) about the search engines you use through it's interfaces searchlet.

So far, I actually quite like Google Chrome. The user interface is very lean, there's no real clutter, yet unlike IE7. I can actually find what I am looking WITHOUT LOOKING ALL OVER FOR IT !!!! And I say this, after having used IE7 rarely in the past but quite a lot last month out of need. The "control this page" button/menu in Chrome I think is wonderfully done, and the fonts defaulted to 16pt on the proportional fonts on my test machine. I've set all fonts 2pt larger and find it quite usable on my 1600x1200 screen.

So far I have only two things to cry about, one -- like many browsers it's set to allow all cookies by default. And two -- if there is that, if there *is* a control to restrict websites to a minimal font size, I haven't found it in the past ~5 minutes. Being that I am a person that likes very large fonts (and sit back and with head up at my dual-monitors), that's almost a killer for me: most websites I visit have painfully microscopic font sizes on high resolution displays!!!!

I could care less about the EULA, since it's little different from what I have to put up with to use Googles Search, Docs, and Mail, which I'm 'stuck' with for lack of better. I've also got to live with tons of crappy GNU/Linux oriented OSes on the net, so what's another browser to do.

The only *good* browser I've met is lynx !!!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Refugee

Google appears to be changing its EULA:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...change-it.html
http://osnews.com/story/20248/Google...All_Your_Bases

[..] Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 3rd September 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 4th September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
The "control this page" button/menu in Chrome I think is wonderfully done, and the fonts defaulted to 16pt on the proportional fonts on my test machine. I've set all fonts 2pt larger and find it quite usable on my 1600x1200 screen.

And two -- if there is that, if there *is* a control to restrict websites to a minimal font size, I haven't found it in the past ~5 minutes. Being that I am a person that likes very large fonts (and sit back and with head up at my dual-monitors), that's almost a killer for me: most websites I visit have painfully microscopic font sizes on high resolution displays!!!!
You should be increasing the DPI settings for your display in proportion to your resolution. A 12pt font should be the same size, no matter what the resolution is. If 12pt is tiny on your monitor, your DPI setting is wrong. There's an Xorg commandline setting for this, that can be added to the startx command, or xinit command, or *dm config file, or <insert preferred method of starting X here> command, or ... Hmmm, yeah, guess it's not so easy to keep DPI settings straight on X systems.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 4th September 2008
Arp Constable

My displays settings says it is running at 120DPI, but since the available binaries are only Windows XP/Vista, X doesn't come into play yet but on the other hand:

Everything booting FreeBSD, is perfectly legible ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 4th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Call me paranoid, but a couple of months ago I was thinking seriously, sooner or later, Google will take over the internet world. Now it would turn into reality in a next few years.

I feel sad. Google was my inspiration to the Computer Science world. Remember the day I knew nothing about computer, then I discovered the beauty of Google search engine. I became passionate about computing since then.

They change, they are just different from yesterday, they day they said "dont be evil"

Last edited by 18Googol2; 4th September 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 4th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I don't understand. Why do you feel sad? What did Google do that is evil?
Old 5th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Ok, let's put it this way. Could you find me a Google product that has nothing to do with user information?

All products they develope are driven by customer information. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Their products are sastifactory, users are very happy, both product quality, "brand" and cost (most of them free, some of them even open source), yet users are unsure what is behind the scene, what Google actually wants from you? Superior products for free? Are they really that kind? I dont think so.

They dont do business in the way MS does. MS's customers buy MS products and hate them. Google's customers get Google products for free and love them. The bottom line is, Google gets to the point that they can control customers, either in positive or negative manner, but the loyalty remains intact

"There ain't no free lunch"
Old 5th September 2008
Administrator

If you seek a light and small WebKit browser you may also try MIDORI: http://freshports.org/www/midori/

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 5th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Google's Chrome Privacy Notice
Business Week's take:
Quote:
Google’s Chrome by and large is defined to behave in a conventional manner when it comes to handling of privacy-sensitive data, including the provision of a “private browsing” mode similar to that in the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Old 5th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Things like this are why I don't like, trust and have stopped using google:

Google CEO, we need gov't regulation of ISPs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
Ok, let's put it this way. Could you find me a Google product that has nothing to do with user information?
Practically everything at http://code.google.com/hosting/projects.html
Old 5th September 2008
Banned

@roddierod, Google has been fighting for Net Neutrality, which is *very* important to the modern Internet.
Old 5th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Things like this are why I don't like, trust and have stopped using google:

Google CEO, we need gov't regulation of ISPs
That makes no sense at all, the free market will sort itself out, history has shown us that government trying to ``fix'' a market with (usually retarded) laws has rarely turned out well in the long run.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
That makes no sense at all, the free market will sort itself out, history has shown us that government trying to ``fix'' a market with (usually retarded) laws has rarely turned out well in the long run.
I love it! A capitalist! I think truer words have not been spoken.
Old 6th September 2008
Arp Constable

What government has ever known the market from a hole in the ground....

If one was to allow a few omissions for the sake of brevity, some of the major focal points in history went from the Greeks to the Romans, to the British, to the Americans, to who knows? (probably the chinese). Perhaps in computers it would be from IBM, to Microsoft, to Google or Yahoo. There always seems to be a big one some where in time, that has more influence then they deserve. The only question in my opinion, is how much they will screw you in the end.

I don't really have any love for Google, I'd probably like to work there someday but that's the nicest thing I could say. Google however, does do one thing that no other service I've used does.

It actually helps me find what I'm searching for.

Old 6th September 2008
Arp Constable

You know, even at 144dpi (I'm not even going to mention the default in Windows), the fonts on this forum are hard to read at 1600x1200px on my 19" monitor when using Google Chrome.

Then again,

www.sasclan.org font-size: 10px
forums.pcbsd.org font-size: 12px
daemonforums.org font-size: 13px

If Chromes element inspector is as accurate as it feels handy. It is no wonder that on the Windows machine, I've had a minimal 16pt font size set in Mozilla for years !

but everything looks great under X with the default sizes (Flock) at 1280x800 on my laptop, go figure >_>

Old 7th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Don't you mean px? pt is for print and shouldn't be used on the web. 16px is the standard font size for all browsers.
Old 7th September 2008
Arp Constable

As far as I am aware, web browsers default to 16pt and would be hopeless without some kind of Times based font.

px == Npx looks huge on my smaller screen, micro on the larger ones

pt == how many pixels are in a point on a monitor of N make/size and what says it will be there too ?

Windows and Mac OS for example, don't agree on the size of 1point.

Old 7th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I can't speak about the resolution (dpi) issues, but by definition there are 72 points per inch. It has always been so.