DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2010
New User

Default Maven/Lift on NetBSD sparc64

I'm trying to get maven on my sparc64 machine so I can install and use Lift. When I was on the maven package page I couldn't find a binary for my arch. ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/devel/apache-maven/README.htm ... (I would have posted the url in the right format but I'm new and can't do so... sorry) so I guess I have to compile it from source? Now my question is what is the best way to get maven as it requires java vdk which is not a precompiled binary and a slew of other things in a whole web of prereqs that would not be fun to compile from source and pkg_add. Is there a place where I can find a giant tarball and just run a make or a ./configure or is the only way the hard way? I have looked through the pkgsrc guide but I couldn't find extensive detail on compiling for different archs. Maybe I missed something? On a side note... is there any way to save the PATH and the PKG_PATH vars and keep them exported so I don't need to retype them every time I want to pkg_add?
Any help is appreciated and thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2010
Shell Scout

Hi,

it seems like this package is not actively developed- last entry is ca 2009-06-
HTML Code:
http://pkgsrc.se/devel/apache-maven
. And there is any such package for sparc64-
HTML Code:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/sparc64/5.1_2010Q1/All/

So you must compile yourself using pkgsrc. About java- the only one reliable and actively maintained is openjkd. You should use only pkgsrc on NetBSD. And I wouldn't waste my time compiling directly from sources- that's why pkgsrc comes in place.

The PATH and PKG_PATH you must set in your .profile or shell rc file so each time you login your setting will be kept- this is nothin NetBSD specific.

I would advise you also to have a look into OpenBSD sparc64 port and FreeBSD sparc64 port.

OpenBSD doesn't have maven though- pls check your self once again-
HTML Code:
http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html
HTML Code:
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.7/packages/sparc64/
FreeBSD also seems not to have this package:

HTML Code:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/sparc64/packages-8.0-release/All/
Please double check yourself again.

Kr.

Piotr.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2010
New User

Hmmm thanks so far. I found the source for openjdk 6 and now I am having trouble making the file. What exactly do I need to build from source. I saw on pkgsrc that I needed to get the text.tgz and comp.tgz distribution sets which I installed on my system. What else do I need to get to make my system "make" ready? Do I still need a C compiler and other things too?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2010
Shell Scout

All you have to do is to download pkgsrc archive, unpack in /usr then go to i.e.
Code:
cd /usr/pkgsrc/audio/****
and type there
Code:
make package clean

Please read:

HTML Code:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/
The file you have to download is:

HTML Code:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2010Q2/pkgsrc.tar.gz

If you install comp.tgz (from base system) you will have set of compilators (so C, C++ etc).

When compiling program from pkgsrc you don't have to download any sources, creating Makefiles etc etc. Pkgsrc will download sources for you and the set of Makefiles, patches etc is already provided by pkgsrc.

I hope that helps and clarifies.

Piotr.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2010
New User

That kinda helps but with my system I didn't do a full checkout of pkgsrc and do not wish to. I just used pkg_add to get what I needed and I set my pkg_path to the all directory on the pkgsrc site for my arch. To clarify my question: I want to "make" the openjdk tar.gz I found here, download.java.net/openjdk/jdk6 . How exactly would I go about doing that and I guess just assume I have a fresh installation of NetBSD sans pkgs. Thanks for the help so far you've been greaaattt!!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
I didn't do a full checkout of pkgsrc and do not wish to.
If you have looked at the dependency list found at the following:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/curr...k7/README.html

Selectively installing only parts of the pkgsrc tree is fraught with all kinds of potential errors. If you go down this unrecommended path, you are likely to be starting over many times.

If your concern is disk space, recognize that there are at least two options:
  • Install the tree, build, & delete the tree (not recommended given that you may want to install something else later...).
  • Connect an external USB drive, mount the pkgsrc tree there, & build. Once finished, disconnect the drive. If you need it later, reattach it.
Quote:
How exactly would I go about doing that...
Familiarizing yourself with pkgsrc's documentation would be a good start:

http://netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2010
New User

[QUOTE=ocicat;33031]
Familiarizing yourself with pkgsrc's documentation would be a good start:

A little sassy but alright. I guess I'll do that. Some of those guides I saw on the site weren't very explicit for the new Unix user.