DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2018
Arp Constable

Default Urgent FBI request - Router Malware

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/t...t-malware.html

This appears to infect in stages and many routers may already harbor stage 1. Rebooting apparently removes stages beyond stage 1 - to my eye looks like a temporary fix. On a personal note, I think my LEDE setup is ok. VPN ports are closed by default and r/w configuration access is only through ssh.

Edit: More Details
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2...VPNFilter.html

Last edited by shep; 27th May 2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Removed LEDE ramble
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

From the talos intelligence link:
Quote:
We are unsure of the particular exploit used in any given case, but most devices targeted, particularly in older versions, have known public exploits or default credentials that make compromise relatively straightforward.
Quote:
At the time of this publication, we do not have definitive proof on how the threat actor is exploiting the affected devices. However, all of the affected makes/models that we have uncovered had well-known, public vulnerabilities. Since advanced threat actors tend to only use the minimum resources necessary to accomplish their goals, we assess with high confidence that VPNFilter required no zero-day exploitation techniques.
(emphasis mine)

Blown out of proportion?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2018
Too dumb for a smartphone

My sense is that

- many manufacturers stop issuing firmware upgrades after a couple of years since there isn't any money to be made by doing so,

- even when they do, most home users don't know about firmware upgrades and so don't apply them,

- let alone applying OpenWRT or DDWRT where possible,

- most home users don't change the default credentials due to lack of knowledge.

So there are a lot of devices out there that are potentially easy pickings.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2018
Arp Constable

Quote:
Blown out of proportion?
From the standpoint of the existence of an attack vector, I agree.

What garnered my attention is that this is the first time the FBI has targeted an attack vector and enlisted non-technical, National media to counter it. The FBI is not known for hyperbole so I wonder if this was prompted by an imminent or ongoing exploit of the vector?

Edit:
From the Slate https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...infection.html
Quote:
On Wednesday, the FBI received a court order allowing it to seize a website that was allegedly going to be used to direct the hacked routers. While that move “cut off malicious communications, it still left the routers infected, and Friday’s warning was aimed at cleaning up those machines,” explains Reuters.

I can imagine that the FBI found concerning code on the web site and also suspect that the site was backed up.

Last edited by shep; 28th May 2018 at 03:13 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
What garnered my attention is that this is the first time the FBI has targeted an attack vector and enlisted non-technical, National media to counter it. The FBI is not known for hyperbole so I wonder if this was prompted by an imminent or ongoing exploit of the vector?
You might be on to sth. there. According to the reports a signifcant portion of the affected devices are in the Ukraine. That alone might hint at something with wider ramifications behind the scenes. I don't remeber the FBI making such a fuss about meltdown/spectre. Or any of the router vulnerabilites of the past for that matter. And there were plenty of those.

But what do I know about these things...