DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2009
Package Pilot

Default 7.0 to 7.1 retaining app. preferences etc.

I've been fairly conservative and held off on the 7.0 to 7.1 update. Last night I burned the isos to disc, and intend to install from there.

I have a non-generic kernel - for ATAPI support

I also have a number of applications that I use with regularity -
eclipse
amarok
wine & Neverwinter
FireFox and Opera
and various others
K3B
Kopete

I'm using the NVidia driver.

Are there any pitfalls I should be wary of with this upgrade?
Also, I'm going to backup prior to the process, but will the upgrade clobber/overwrite my various conf files - in particular here I'm thinking about K3B which took a bit of configuration.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2009
Arp Constable

You shouldn't have any major big bang why the hell am I doing this kind of issues; just read /usr/ports/UPDATING based on how long it's been since you last updated most programs on your system (hint: 7.0-release is marked).

I'm not familiar with upgrade via CD-ROM, but the usual method via source involves merging changed/updated conf files into your system. The mergemaster script makes it fairly painless (especially with the -Ui options) once 'world' is upgaded.

Be sure to update your system source (e.g. /usr/src) and compile the nvidia driver a new after FreeBSD and X.Org has been upgraded. In my opinion, one should always ensure loadable kernel modules (i.e. drivers) are compiled against the kernel they will run on, for maximum stability ;-).

depending on /just/ how long it's been since your last update of 3rd party software, you might want to take note to updating glib20, gtk20, libxcb, perl5; and running the perl-after-update script as documented in it's manual; and recompiling offenders if you run into problems starting certain applications that depend on them.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th April 2009
Coffee Addict

I am not clear whether you are upgrading or doing a new install over your existing installation.

I am assuming you just want to upgrade, and in that case I don't understand why you are burning ISOs instead of using freebsd-update(8) or using the buildworld process. I suggest you hit the Handbook.

If you use one of those methods, none of the configuration files for your 3rd party applications will be touched. The FreeBSD directory hierarchy keeps 3rd party configs and system configs separate. For something like K3B, that config would be in your home directory anyways.

Kernel modules built for other kernels can cause kernel panics. For the nVidia driver, you should unload the nVidia kernel module before you upgrade and prevent it from loading until you are done with the upgrade. Rebuild the nVidia driver after your upgrade is complete and then you can reload it.

Finally, if you want a good summary of the changes between 7.0 to 7.1, you might want to look at the FreeBSD 7.1 Release Notes.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th April 2009
Package Pilot

I'm planning to Upgrade. I had believed that I could do this from a local source (e.g disc) rather than retrieving everything remotely, which is slow/could possibly eat up a big chunk of my ISP download allowance).

I've looked at freebsd-update and the Handbook, but neither were relevant to what I had thought I could do, above.

The k3b configuration isn't retained in /home - http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=246

I've already looked at the Release Notes thanks, as well as the errata.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2009
Coffee Addict

You can upgrade using a CD by selecting the "Upgrade" option from sysinstall, but I have never used it. One of the reasons I suggested using freebsd-update or cvsup/buildworld was for saving bandwidth.

As far as K3B goes, the configuration for the application itself is in your home directory. All of the other files for permissions and the like in /etc are not K3B specific. I would assume "Upgrade via CD" uses mergemaster(8) to merge your configuration files like all of the other methods of upgrading do. In that case, just take care to look at what mergemaster is actually merging in when it comes to your configuration files. If you don't pay attention, it could revert your configurations to default values. That is why it is a good idea to backup everything before upgrading.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2009
Port Guard

have you updated your 7.0 using cvsup or freebsd-update?
i dont know how the cd upgrade works, but youre probably going to have to cvsup everything to get all the patches anyway, so why not just upgrade to 7.1 using cvsup and save yourself some work? just a thought.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd April 2009
Package Pilot

I've created a bzipped tarball of my /etc and am going to burn my music/video/files off to disc.
Anything else I should be backing up prior to the upgrade
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2009
Port Guard

/boot/loader.conf if you have anything important in there.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Should be all right. Keeping a backup of /etc and /usr/local/etc would be a good idea.

Also, if you have things in a postgres or MySql or other serious database, you should have a dump of them as well.
Old 14th May 2009
New User

if you upgrade according to the make buildworld routine, you should be fine, really. you will have to compile the kernel again for your atapi support.

Code:
cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile /usr/local/etc
it should contain something like:

Code:
*default host=cvsup.nl.freebsd.org  (change to your nearest mirror)
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
Code:
csup /usr/local/etc/stable-supfile
rm -rf /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=<yourkernel>  (from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf)
make installkernel KERNCONF=<yourkernel>
mergemaster -p 
make installworld
mergemaster -Ui
reboot
The only real tricky parts is the mergemaster bit. The first one will want to merge the master.passwd and group files. But you don't have to, because no new users or groups are added from 7.0 to 7.1.

The second mergemaster should copy a whole bunch of files automatically (specifically files that you have never changed) - the ones that were changed, you will have to watch carefully what the differences are.

It will also want to delete some old scripts from /etc/rc.d - that's ok, delete them.

If you are really afraid to go on, you *could* even skip the mergemaster bit, or skip the files that need merging and do it later on. I have seen ppl skipping the mergemaster for several upgrades, but it's bound to go wrong somewhere.

Basic point is: try to get used to the mergermaster program. That's the only real tricky part. If you backup /etc, you'll always be safe.
Old 15th May 2009
Package Pilot

I actually recently (last week) did the 7.1 to 7.2 upgrade and it was painless.
What I'm searching for now is the quickest /easiest way to update my installed ports and packages - not the tree, the actuall installs.
Old 15th May 2009
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrussell View Post
What I'm searching for now is the quickest /easiest way to update my installed ports and packages - not the tree, the actuall installs.
You can use ports-mgmt/portupgrade or ports-mgmt/portmaster. I personally prefer portupgrade(8) since it can do some very complicated operations and still tends to have more presence in documentations (like /usr/ports/UPDATING). Many people have grown fond of portmaster(8), however, since it is a shell script and requires no other languages or databases to be installed. There are a few other ports management systems out there, but the two I mentioned are IMO the best ones to stick with at least for support sake.

The FreeBSD Handbook gives a run down of both portupgrade and portmaster.