DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Port Guard

Default 4.5 on macppc: emacs package, compiling ports

Hi, just completed a successful install of OpenBSD 4.5 on an Apple iBook G4. Things are working great, including wireless! Two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know why there are no powerpc packages of emacs (21 or 22) or auctex in 4.5? Looking at the package listings on the main OpenBSD site, it seems that there were packages for these on powerpc in 4.4 and earlier. And certainly there are emacs/auctex packages in 4.5 for more common architectures (i386, etc.). I realize 4.6 is now upon us, and so maybe there will be powerpc packages again, but I'm curious whether anyone knows why the omission in 4.5?

2. Connected to this: lacking an emacs package on powerpc, I've tried to install it from ports, without success. I made sure I got the right ports.tar.gz (i.e., the 4.5 release version, not current, to match the rest of my system). But it won't build. I get an error 139 and a core dump. Any insights anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. other things seem to at least build successfully from ports: I've successfully installed 'textedit', though it won't start (segfaults)

p.p.s. would happily post my dmesg here, but I can't figure out how to copy and paste it without an X-based text editor (no emacs/textedit/etc.): sorry!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Banned

A possible reason for that package not being built is the version that happened to be in the tree at the time of the release was not stable enough on that platform.

Looking at the tree, there are several emacs ports that should work..
editors/emacs21, editors/emacs22
editors/xemacs21 (..this one has a package available)

One option would be to use the minimalistic emacs-like editor that's installed by default as an alternative to 'vi', it's called 'mg'.

As for the dmesg, you could redirect the output into a file and then attach it here.. or use one of many online pastebin services.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 8th October 2009 at 01:06 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Port Guard

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I tried installing both of the available emacs ports (editors/emacs21 and editors/emacs22), both without success. Xemacs could be a good alternative, since there is package, as you say. I use emacs primarily for LaTeX-ing, with auctex; I'm just unfamiliar with the degree of auctex integration that's possible in xemacs as opposed to gnu emacs, but that's obviously something I can find out about elsewhere.

dmesg now attached (I thought earlier that the new user restrictions on the forum included no attachments; my mistake!)
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (4.9 KB, 54 views)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
Does anyone know why there are no powerpc packages of emacs (21 or 22) or auctex in 4.5?
The Project simply does not have the resources to build all ports into packages for all platforms, so the decision is made to only build selected packages, especially for anything other than i386 (which doesn't have pre-built packages for every port available in CVS either...).

I am not privy to how the decision is made to include some applications over others. This is a question worthy of posting to the official ports@ mailing list.
Quote:
Connected to this: lacking an emacs package on powerpc, I've tried to install it from ports, without success.
I don't see any restrictions in the Makefile associated with OpenBSD 4.5-release:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...e?annotate=1.4

...so if you want to explore this deeper, contacting the port's maintainer (which is listed in the Makefile...) would be an appropriate next step.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
The Project simply does not have the resources to build all ports into packages for all platforms, so the decision is made to only build selected packages, especially for anything other than i386 (which doesn't have pre-built packages for every port available in CVS either...).
Naturally, I understand. Frankly I think it's remarkable how much is available pre-built for so many architectures. In any case, thanks very much for your comments and suggestions. Since 4.6 is more or less here now, I may see how things are in 4.6/macppc first, and perhaps contact the port maintainer if the problem persists in the new release.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2009
Port Guard

This fix (not committed) let editors/textedit work:
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=118077514030626&w=2
Emcas has been updated to 22.3 and I think that there will be a package for Macppc in 4.6.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2009
Port Guard

Thanks for the info, gbechis! I will give your fix a try for textedit. And I am definitely looking forward to seeing exactly what is in the 4.6 release.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2009
Banned

As I mentioned, there is an emacs-like editor in the base installation.. mg(1).
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
As I mentioned, there is an emacs-like editor in the base installation.. mg(1).
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, I will check it out. Though my main reason for wanting emacs is to use the auctex extension package for latex authoring. From reading mg's man page, it looks like auctex won't be compatible (since it's written as a Lisp extension if I'm not mistaken, and thus won't work with mg). I generally prefer vi/vim to emacs, but find that nothing matches auctex for writing latex (vim-latexsuite doesn't come close, in my experience).

In any case, thanks again. I'm finding this to be a very friendly and helpful forum.
Old 18th October 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:

auctex in 4.5?
Auctex is badly outdated on OpenBSD. You should not have any problems though building latest version of Auctex from the source files you can get from Auctex web-site. I have done that in the past for my friends (I use nvi for all editing including TeX/LaTex).

Quote:
p.p.s. would happily post my dmesg here, but I can't figure out how to copy and paste it without an X-based text editor (no emacs/textedit/etc.): sorry!
Learn how to redirect output!
Code:
$dmesg > dmesg.crap
Old 19th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Thanks for the info, gbechis! I will give your fix a try for textedit. And I am definitely looking forward to seeing exactly what is in the 4.6 release.
In 4.6 there is both emacs 21.4 and 22.3.
Old 19th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Learn how to redirect output!
Code:
$dmesg > dmesg.crap
Yes, that's how I created the file that I ended up attaching to an earlier post. I know how to redirect output to a local file; what I don't know is how to paste text into a web form (like the one I used to write my initial post here) when I don't have an editor/pager/terminal that supports copying onto a clipboard (or whatever) that X recognizes. Though of course I could be missing something obvious...

Thanks for the note on auctex.
Old 19th October 2009
Banned

Copying text in X is really easy, it's just unlike how it's done with typical GTK/Qt-based toolkits or Microsoft Windows.

In xterm for example.. select the text you wish to copy using the left mouse button, and paste it into an input form using the 3rd mouse button (..typically the scroll wheel).

You really need a mouse with 3 buttons, otherwise X will just emulate it when you are pressing both the left and right buttons simultaneously.

I've thrown out all of my 2 button mouses, they're really quite useless.

The method of redirecting to a file and attaching it to the forum works as well, often people forget to use the [code][/code] blocks when posting things and it kind of messed up the formatting.
Old 19th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
You really need a mouse with 3 buttons, otherwise X will just emulate it when you are pressing both the left and right buttons simultaneously.
Thanks for the note! I'll have to pick up a better mouse; right now I just have a single button + trackpad (it's an Apple iBook), but obviously that's not the ideal hardware for interacting with X.
Old 19th October 2009
More noise than signal

There are keystroke alternatives. "Paste" can be the 3rd (middle) button, but you can also use Shift+Insert.
Old 19th October 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There are keystroke alternatives. "Paste" can be the 3rd (middle) button, but you can also use Shift+Insert.
Hmm, that's convenient.. are all of the possible combinations documented somewhere?

Thanks jggimi.
Old 19th October 2009
More noise than signal

I don't know. You can Google for "x.org keyboard shortcuts", and find a mishmash of information, but I haven't found a definitive document. I just remember shift+insert from the 1980s. From early XFree86 days, I would guess.