DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2010
Administrator

Default A plan for a remote install and reinstall of FreeBSD

In our guides/howto section there are two interesting guides about installing FreeBSD without using sysinstall.

However, these guides assume you have physical access to the machine. But what if you have not, and the machine is in a datacenter 200 kms away?

My suggestion is have a small, say 2 Gigabyte, FreeBSD on the disk. This mini-FreeBSD installation is only used for a sysinstall-less install of the 'real' FreeBSD in the other slice(s).

The partitioning plan for this remote machine:
Code:
ad0s1 = 2 Gigabyte mini-FreeBSD only to be used for installing 
        or reinstalling, the "real FBSD" on the other slices
ad0s2 = Real FreeBSD "/", swap, "/usr" 
ad0s3 = Real FreeBSD "/tmp", "/var",  "/var/tmp" , "/var/log" i 
ad0s4 = Real FreeBSD "/usr/local", "/home", "/var", "/var/mail"
Why a multiple slice install?

There is 8 labels restriction per slice (at least for the disklabel or bsdlabel utility).
The glabel man page doesn't mention any limit in number of glabel'led partitions.
During the growing pains of the FreebSD 5.x series, I became am more focussed on OpenBSD, so I have never used glabel yet.

An overview of this 'bsdlabel' 8 partition/file system limit

Code:
1) 	a = "/"		(reserved for "/" on the booting slice") 
2) 	b = swap		(reserved for swap)
3) 	c = complete slice	(cannot be used)
4) 	d =			
5) 	e =
6) 	f =
7) 	g =
8) 	h =
On the first slice you only have 4 not pre-defined labels and with
separate file systems for the following you have used them all.
Code:
1	"/usr"
2	"/var"
3	"/home"
4	"/tmp"
So for a real system, with separate files ystems as 'watertight compartments' one has to use multiple slices for a single FreeBSD install.
A reason for example is that you don't want an attacker to fill your "/var/log" logs with junk and thus leaving no more space for "/var/mail".

Code:
 1	"/"
 2	swap
 3	"/usr"
 4	"/usr/local"
 5	"/usr/ports"
 6	"/tmp"
 7	"/var"
 8	"/var/tmp"
 9	"/var/log"
10	"/var/mail"
11	"/home"
After you are done with the install, you use fdisk to change the active MBR partition
from ad0s1 (the mini-FBSD), to ad0s2, which has the "/" filesystem of your new fresh install and
reboot.

If next year yeat another new file system for FreeBSD emerges, let us call it YANFS, you can use the
the 'real' FBSD in slice 2,3 and 4 to first update your mini 'fixit" FBSD in slice 1 so it has all the
YANFS tools.

AFter changing the active partition from slice 2 to slice 1, you reboot and are in an "fixit" environment where you can (I am willing to bet on it) follow the Ultra-Modern FreeBSD Install with YANFS (vermaden way)

Does this sound like a good plan? I don't mean the bet, but the idea of using a mini-FBSD to create the equivalent of a Fixit or Rescue CD environment.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2010
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
one has to use multiple slices for a single FreeBSD install.
A reason for example is that you don't want an attacker to fill your "/var/log" logs with junk and thus leaving no more space for "/var/mail".
Both slices and partitions have fixed sizes. So partitions suffice and you can have those on slices 3 and 4 on a single slice. An attacker would only fill /var/log/ and /var/mail/ would be left untouched.
And why not prevent the attacker from filling the logs in the first place by rejecting repeated connections or errors?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Why a multiple slice install?

There is 8 labels restriction per slice (at least for the disklabel or bsdlabel utility).
The glabel man page doesn't mention any limit in number of glabel'led partitions.
During the growing pains of the FreebSD 5.x series, I became am more focussed on OpenBSD, so I have never used glabel yet.
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE supports up to 26 partitions in bsdlabel:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/c...er/084949.html

Quote:
AFter changing the active partition from slice 2 to slice 1, you reboot and are in an "fixit" environment where you can (I am willing to bet on it) follow the Ultra-Modern FreeBSD Install with YANFS (vermaden way)
Heh, nice name

I would also consider using remotely controlled power switch, if you end up in kernel panic, then you will have to move your ass these 200km Also, great idea with selecting which one to boot by only switching the ACTIVE flag on slice.

Quote:
Does this sound like a good plan? I don't mean the bet, but the idea of using a mini-FBSD to create the equivalent of a Fixit or Rescue CD environment.
You should propably be able to use gmirror for that, for example, you need to make some bigger changes or even full reinstall, you detach one of the drives from gmirror, then boot one of the degraded ones, then wipe the second one, install everything there, reboot into just wiped out/installed new version, destroy the old degraded gmirror and create new gmirror

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Use a serial console and set your machine to boot from PXE?
Or is that solution to simple?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2010
Administrator

Serial console and PXE booting is simple on OpenBSD but not on FreeBSD
And I want to do an install without sysinstall.