DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Default iptables: overload on max-src-conn-rate?

So this is what I use in pf:

Code:
table <oloadtbl> persist

pass in log on $if proto tcp from any to $ip1 port ssh keep state \
  (max 30 max-src-conn 29 max-src-conn-rate 30/60 source-track overload <oload> flush global)
And cron does:
Code:
       *       *       *       *       root /sbin/pfctl -t oloadtbl -T expire 600 > /dev/null 2>&1
so the question is how do I accomplish the same with iptables? I can't seem to figure that out.

I found some solution in teh interwebz, but to be honest, I don't quite understand them and I'm not going to copy/paste stuff I don't understand from sites I've never heard of.

For example from http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-...n-attacks.html

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $SERVER_IP --sport 513:65535 --dport 22 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -m recent --set -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 600 --hitcount 11 -j DROP
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -s $SERVER_IP -d 0/0 --sport 22 --dport 513:65535 -m state
What does -s 0/0 do? Does this match any address? No address at all?

Why is the source port defined? Is that necessary?

Why do explicitly give the states? and why NEW and ESTABLISHED and not just one?

Is this *really* the easiest and most straightforward way to accomplish this?

... Maybe someone with more experience can explain this to me ...

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 13th May 2011 at 09:35 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Risen from the ashes

-s 0/0 matches any source address. It's long-hand for "any", or shorthand for "0.0.0.0/0". It's annoying that iptables doesn't understand the words "any" or "all" for addresses.

That's about the extent of my iptables knowledge in relation to this post.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Right, thanks ... --protocol does supports "all" by the way ... 0/0 wasn't mentioned in the manpage anywhere though :-/

I spent pretty much all day configuring our new CentOS VPS at work ... We needed to get that up and running today and the only guy who knows CentOS/Linux had a day off today :-/

There were quite a few surprises along the way, and my head is itchy from being scratched so much ...