DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2013
New User

Default Cleaning up after a failed Ports Make Install Attempt?

I am trying to clean up after failed installs from ports of Emacs 21 and Emacs 23 as well as Git. I was trying to install Emacs and Git on an OpenBSD v5.2 install on a DEC VaxStation 4000 model 90. It has a staggering 32 megs of RAM and a 2.1 gig hard drive, very high end for 1991, but all this now seems puny; so yes every last megabyte of hard drive space does matter on this hard drive which is now already 72% full.

My attempts at the installs using "make install" within the appropriate directory of the `/usr/ports` tree have failed. I did run "make clean" after each failed compilation and have also checked `/tmp` and it is largely empty. OpenBSD seems to also flush `/tmp` with each reboot. The hard drive capacity does however seem to shrink with each failed program compilation so I am probably accumulating some programs or tarballs or cruft with each attempted installation.

The programs in question are not available as binary packages for the VAX architecture.

How do I clean up after failed ports compilations in this scenario?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2013
More noise than signal

From memory, I recall that ports are built in /usr/ports/pobj.

To record the console for later review, try the script(1) program.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2013
More noise than signal

Now that I'm off my phone and can type with less trouble ...

The "build" directories default to /usr/ports/pobj. This can be changed by setting the $WRKOBJDIR environment variable.

FAQ 15 is a good start, but for additional environment variables and details of port building, see the ports(7) man page. For a complete list of all environment variables and even more detail, see bsd.port.mk(5).