DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2013
Port Guard

Default PF dynamic adding of ips to table (booby trap port)

As i have only few ports opend to the internet within the service range i would like to booby trap others to block any host that sends tcp or udp packet to any of them.

What i am having problem with is dynamically adding the offending ip to the table (most likely port scan), something like:

table <honeypot> persist
block quick from <honeypot>
pass in on em0 proto tcp from any to any port 1:24 "add ip to" <honeypot>

The problem is that i cant find syntax to add the ip sending the packet to the honeypot table, is this even possible? The overload has this possibility but this is not about the connection count as the handshake is not even done yet - there should be no traffic so any kind of tcp packet should be enough to get blocked.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2013
More noise than signal

I think you're looking for the overload and flush stateful tracking options, which are designed to add offending IPs to a table (overload) and kill any established states (flush).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2013
Port Guard

yep overload would be fine but it requires max-src-conn or max-src-conn-rate. As the connection is not established (tcp handshake not done yet), even max-src-conn 1 wouldnt trigger it, so it is unadequate for what i want to achieve. For the port scans, completing the handshake is overhead, sending syn and waiting for syn-ack is more then enough. Also there is no listener running on those ports so the handshake is never established, the synproxy would be an option but not really usefull...

Last edited by irukandji; 3rd December 2013 at 09:13 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2013
More noise than signal

Hmmm... It appears that I've misinterpreted the syntax rules, then, as from pf.conf(5) it looks like the only dependency is is that flush requires overload.
Code:
     state-opt      = ( "max" number | "no-sync" | timeout | "sloppy" |
                      "pflow" | "source-track" [ ( "rule" | "global" ) ] |
                      "max-src-nodes" number | "max-src-states" number |
                      "max-src-conn" number |
                      "max-src-conn-rate" number "/" number |
                      "overload" "<" string ">" [ "flush" [ "global" ] ] |
                      "if-bound" | "floating" )
I've never had a desire to honeypot, so I've never tried something like setting max-src-nodes to 0 to see if that elimates state or if it sets no limit. Instead I've used overload or overload with flush where I wished to stop bad behavior.

To the best of my recollection, PF tables are manipulated only via pfctl(8) commands or stateful options.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2013
Port Guard

I hoped i am missing something... *grumble*

I'll check the sources if this can be changed without much of a problems and submit it
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2013
More noise than signal

I just did some testing; you are correct, the syntax permits overload to be specified but pfctl(8) will insist on max-src-conn or max-src-conn-rate. Nor will pfctl permet max-src-conn or max-src-nodes set to 0.

If you want to create a honeypot using PF as designed, you're going to have to permit at least one connection. Consider redirecting traffic to a tarpit listener.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2013
Port Guard

Ok, i have solved it this way, i dont like it but it works... And captured one offender within first 5 minutes... Practically all service ports except few that i am using are booby trapped.

tcpdump -lq -n "(not src net x.x.x.x mask y.y.y.y) and ((tcp dst portrange n-nn) or (tcp dst portrange n1-nn1)" | awk '{split($3,a,"."); system("pfctl -t tarpit -T add "a[1]"."a[2]"."a[3]"."a[4]) }'
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2013
More noise than signal

Wow! That's certainly creative.

If I were to set up a honeypot, it would be for attack analysis. I would probably deploy honeyd and direct unwelcome traffic there via PF. However, I've not bothered, as no attempted (and noticed) attacks so far have warranted any analysis.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2013
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Wow! That's certainly creative.

If I were to set up a honeypot, it would be for attack analysis. I would probably deploy honeyd and direct unwelcome traffic there via PF. However, I've not bothered, as no attempted (and noticed) attacks so far have warranted any analysis.
Well analysing attacks would take a lot of time (since my post, i already catched 11 IPs contacting different ports) and this way it is faster. Every attack will start with some kind of probing and this way probing is also the last action they will perform. Beside that, that "security by obfuscation" aka moving services to different ports gets a new meaning as you need to hit it before you hit booby trapped port... and this is very small target with booby trap before and after it, plus multiple blocks of ports (like most of 1-1055) I was testing it with grc.com SYN scan and it managed to scan 29 ports before beeing banned. Botnet would maybe stand a chance

Ah one more thing, port 80 was left out of blocking where index is verifying if connecting client is tarpitted and captcha is shown to remove the blockage... (well... 98% of code done )

Last edited by irukandji; 5th December 2013 at 12:17 AM.