DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Port Guard

Default X11 with VESA or graphic card HD5870 driver with 1440x900 resolution does not work

Hello,

I got some problems with my xorg.conf config on my 1440x900 screen with my HD 5870 card. The best resolution I can use is: 1280x1024 (xrandr shows me this resolution as max value)

I'm comin from gentoo/debian/archlinux distributions and know that there ati drivers are in use for my screenresolution.

It works there with entering:
Code:
driver "ati" Modes "1440x900"
or things like this. Here with openBSD, things seem to be different. I startet my journey here:

Sorry, this forum is not very friendly for new users due to URL posting restriction. So I have to do it this way:

First of all, I started here:
openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html

and went over to this page
freebsd.org/doc/de/books/handbook/x-config.html
to try new things out.

Here is my xorg.conf:
pastebin.com/QTL3UaZy

and here is my logfile for X:
pastebin.com/0g0fUiBC

Last edited by J65nko; 12th December 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added URL tags ;)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by openBSDheart View Post
Sorry, this forum is not very friendly for new users due to URL posting restriction. So I have to do it this way:
Spam is a significant problem with vBulletin-based forum sites. We take spam prevention very seriously, & one way to control this is to restrict new users' privileges. While we understand this places a burden on newcomers, it is only a temporary inconvenience as more posts are made.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Spam Deminer

openBSDheart, the HD5870 does not currently have any 2D acceleration on OpenBSD. Such acceleration requires kernel modesetting, which is not yet implemented for radeon GPUs on any *BSD.

However, basic 2D modesetting, including a 1440x900 resolution, should work with a relatively recent version of xf86-video-ati. I'm not in front of my OpenBSD box at the moment, so I don't know what version OpenBSD ships with, but it's quite possible (likely, even) that it's not new enough. Please show us your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Administrator

Adamk, as stated in the first post, the "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" can be found at http://pastebin.com/0g0fUiBC
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Spam Deminer

D'oh. Stupid, silly me...

openBSDheart, if you change vesa to radeon in line 62 of your xorg.conf file, does X start with the radeon driver?

Adam
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Port Guard

Hi Adam,

no it does not work with radeon. I tested it before with "radeon" and "hdradeon". Later I discovered in the man that it will not work with this configuration, case the graphic card is not supported in radeon or hdradeon.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Port Guard

Can it be possible, that it will not work for me, cause I selected:
NOT to use non-free drivers (while openBSD5.0 installation was going on)

If u think so, I can reinstall it agian, cause I haven't made nearly no chances, yet.

But if u rather think, it will not be due to this problem, I prefer to use only open source and not to use non-free software instead
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Spam Deminer

There is no non-free driver for your GPU for OpenBSD.

hdradeon is not a driver, but radeonhd is. It's open source but only supports x1600 through HD4xxx GPUs. On linux, the radeon driver supports all radeon GPUs, but requires kernel modesetting for acceleration on HD5xxx and higher and even modesetting on HD6xxx and higher.

So, theoretically, you can get basic modesetting working on your GPU with the 'radeon' driver, but you need a newer version. OpenBSD 5.0 comes with xf86-video-ati version 6.12.2, while modesetting for HD5xxx GPUs requires at least 6.13.0.

If you know what you are doing, you could grab ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/indivi...-6.13.2.tar.gz and compile it yourself. That will likely also involve upgrading libdrm, though.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Port Guard

ok, so far, I try to bring up my resolution for another graphiccard HD4670 (on another workstation next to me) with openBSD5.0 for testing.

If this will work and I collect some experience more with openBSD, I will try the next step with my HD5870 and will report it here.

So far, I wanna say thank u all for ur help and leave this topic unsolved, but still open, if it's ok, till I can solve it or u can ;-)
Old 12th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by openBSDheart View Post
So far, I wanna say thank u all for ur help and leave this topic unsolved, but still open, if it's ok, till I can solve it or u can ;-)
We don't typically close threads or mark them "solved" as seen on other sites.

What we do ask members is:
  • respect the direction of the original poster (OP), & not deviate (hijack) discussion from that of the originator.
  • Members wanting to ask related questions should start a new thread especially if this means that discussion will be going in a different direction.
We find that most members at this site engage in researching through old threads. Searching is simplified is threads stay on a single topic.
Old 12th December 2011
Spam Deminer

Your HD4670 should work just fine, even with basic 3D acceleration. I have it working here with an HD4850, on two monitors, one at 1680x1050 and one at 1600x900.

I tried upgrading xf86-video-ati, but it did require updating libdrm. When I tried updating to the latest release of libdrm, it failed to build. I may revisit this later, but, yeah, I'd use the HD4670 for now :-)

Adam