DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 3rd August 2008
New User

On NetBSD and older OS I run the XFree86.

On Solaris SXDE X.org does the job.

By reading this one, I have the impression they still have much in common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_server
Old 3rd August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten42 View Post
I have the impression they still have much in common.
Correct, but Xorg's implementation is actively being used by most of the Unix community today, & this is where changes will be tomorrow. XFree86 at this point is only being used due to it's stability, but new features are not being added.
Old 23rd November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Since this thread concerns Xorg I have a question concerning X-links with modular xorg.
I installed the modular xorg for netbsd 4.01 following the instructions in http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg
but when I try to make x11 applications which require X11-links, I cannot make X11-links since it complains about missing X headers. I have a bunch of .h files in /usr/pkg/include/xorg.

Last edited by kasse; 23rd November 2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 24th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasse View Post
Since this thread concerns Xorg I have a question concerning X-links with modular xorg.
I installed the modular xorg for netbsd 4.01 following the instructions in http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg
but when I try to make x11 applications which require X11-links, I cannot make X11-links since it complains about missing X headers. I have a bunch of .h files in /usr/pkg/include/xorg.
I am not using NetBSD but I believe that XFree86 is still default in NetBSD 4.01.
If I remember documentation from earlier versions of NetBSD that I played with
running X clients on the top of XOrg was a non-trivial thing. Ports system was pre set to compile applications which will be running on the top of XFree86 so lots of manual configuration was needed to use XOrg. Your complaints about X headers look familiar but I have never push much NetBSD so I hope you get better answer.

If you want XOrg on NetBSD you should run 5.0 current. It uses XOrg by default
the same as applications for 5.0.
Old 24th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I think the problem was that I did not install the distribution sets for building X11 applications http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/us...l#requirements

I also wonder about wip part of pkgsrc, more specific xmonad in wip-pkgsrc. That requires libX11>= 1.2.x but there is only libX11 1.1.y in pkgsrc. Does that mean that I cannot use it in Netbsd.

Finally how manageable is netbsd 5 for the below layperson, I have not even tried Freebsd 8, so I can only imagine what netbsd 5 would be like.