DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

Old 29th May 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilunixuser View Post
Ubuntu conquer the Linux world? I doubt RedHat would let that happen - they are the Microsoft of Linux.
How. From what I know, redhat IS big, but nowhere near as hyperagressive (unethical/corrupt/nasty/mean) as M$.
Old 13th December 2009
Spam Deminer

I use Debian 5 from some times and when will be available Debian 6 probably this OS will be my primary OS while now the primary OS is Ubuntu LTS 8.04 despite i use more ArchLinux.
Unfortunately with ArchLinux I have had some problem (generally small but someone even big) but for development i have the necessity to a robust OS.
If you want use Debian you should avoid to play with different repository if you want mantain the system stable.
This rule is valid for every distro.
Obviously the programs available on Debian 5 aren't much upgrade (but there are some good exceptions).
In summary when i want "play" i use ArchLinux while when i would do something more serious i use another distro.
Old 13th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
This rule is valid for every distro.
Tell that Fedora users which cannot even use nVidia binary driver or use codecs without RPMFusion repository

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 14th December 2009
Spam Deminer

Do you known a "funny thing"?
I use two computer with different hardware where i have installed recently Debian 5, I like photography so I like to experiment with more recent versions of gimp.
I have installed gimp 2.6.x directly from the source (on /opt with two libraries update always on /opt so i can avoid to touch the system), on the more recent and powerful computer when I tried to crop an image the computer freeze ... on the other following exactly the same procedure i haven't problem.
So even if you don't install external repository you could have problems ...
And i speak about debian stable ...

Note:
nVidia binary: proprietary software full of bug used only for play with Compiz at simila ... bleah. No thanks.
Old 14th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
when I tried to crop an image the computer freeze ... on the other following exactly the same procedure i haven't problem.
... and You are calling STABLE a system that can be turned down just by a single graphical application (GIMP in that example), then is CRAP not stable, in FreeBSD You would at MOST have x11 erver terminated, but most like GIMP would just fail ...

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 14th December 2009
Spam Deminer

Well this is a problem but i have the necessity to use java and sometimes even flash (some documentations is available on flash also some hosting service use flash to upload file ...).
Yes on system Bsd you can use java and netbeans but i have read the last netbeans could work only using java 1.5, recent version of eclipse don't work (because some of his code isn't write in java - however i don't like eclipse). Jdeveloper seem work in some manner.
Also if tomorrow i have the necessity to run some particular database as for example oracle or db2 there isn't a bsd version but only for linux or solaris.
Old 14th December 2009
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Tell that Fedora users which cannot even use nVidia binary driver or use codecs without RPMFusion repository

Well, RPMFusion is quiet the opposite of a crappy repository. It's the the combined effort to equalize different repositories and so far it's a success.
Administrator

@Oliver_H

Definitely, my buddy uses it and everything works as desired, but tell that aleunix whom thinks that stable system means only stock default repository

Old 14th December 2009
Spam Deminer

Additional CentOS Provided Repositories
Quote:
NOTE: If you are considering using a 3rd Party Repository, then you should seriously consider how to prevent unintended 'updates' from these side archives from over-writing some core part of CentOS.
Quote:
RPMfusion Repository - (See http://rpmfusion.org/) Still in its infancy, particularly as regards EL5 packages - most available packages are in "testing" stage as of this writing. Suggest extreme caution if using this repo.
Old 14th December 2009
UNIX lover

Oh dear. Those packages in rpmfusion are indead in testing stage, if you want them then you have to activate the testing repo. But they have a stable repo too.

>If you are considering using a 3rd Party Repository, then you should seriously consider how to prevent unintended 'updates' from these side archives from over-writing some core part of CentOS.

Okay, do you know anything about Fedora, RHEL or CentOS? Fedora is a desktop system, CentOS is the free pendant to RHEL, both of them are enterprise grade server systems. Do you get it? Big differences, and rpmfusion is made with Fedora in mind. Btw. Debian has got its testing stages too: testing and unstable.

So I don't see your problem, you're referring to the past or repositories without any concept or driven by single people.

People should use their brain, even while doing some make install in FreeBSD ports.
Spam Deminer

So, in the end, if you want play with a computer use Fedora and third party repository as rpmfusion but if you want a serious OS and serious use stay away from external repository and use alternative (CentOS or RedHat).
And Debian, despite the reduced support period respect RedHat, is more robust then Fedora.

oliver you seem me a lot arrogant, don't exist a system perfect, so better avoid fan-boy.
Old 14th December 2009
UNIX lover

>oliver you seem me a lot arrogant, don't exist a system perfect, so better avoid fan-boy.

Now that I call real nonsense. I'm a Linux (Slackware) and *BSD(OpenBSD/FreeBSD) user and I was a member of the DesktopBSD team, a long time ago I was even a happy Irix UNIX user (in the early 90s). Just because I don't hate Linux I'm a fanboy?

You're in the wrong community it seems:

-Linux is for Windows-haters. Indeed they don't like anything apart from Linux.
-BSD is for people in love with UNIX

>but if you want a serious OS

That's true for every OS used on a server or e.g. on a scientific workstation. I do know even many FreeBSD admins that administer their very own ports-tree to avoid the usual bleeding-edge-character of the ports.

Last edited by Oliver_H; 14th December 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 14th December 2009
Spam Deminer

First you said:
RPMFusion is quiet the opposite of a crappy repository.
Second you said:
Fedora is a desktop system, CentOS is the free pendant to RHEL, both of them are enterprise grade server systems. Do you get it? Big differences, and rpmfusion is made with Fedora in mind.
About linux system there is a certain difference between Debian and Fedora about stability.
When i speak about third repository and after that i make an example i speak about more serious OS (more serious then Fedora).
I hate only two things:
propertary OS;
expert people that use their weight to crush what was said by another, and after that play dumb pretending to misunderstand.
Also I never said that you hate linux. You seem only a fedora fanboy.
If you want make comparisons with debian you should use other linux distro ...

Generally those with more knowledge understands very well that you never stop learning and indeed constantly is amazed for these things, I am pleased that you are at a so high level that you can avoid to bear these problems.
Old 20th November 2010
Knuth's homeboy

I upgraded my Debian 5.0 install to testing/squeeze a few days ago.
The upgrade went flawlessly. I have no idea how the Debian guys manage this but its remarkable!
Squeeze is solid. The software is all up2date. Haven't encountered any real bugs or problems in my day2day use of the system.
What can I say, I love Debian! :-)

http://debian.org/News/2010/20101116b
Old 20th November 2010
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
What would be nice, is if a distro came out that clearly separated the "base" OS from the "applications", in such a way that you can install new apps without installing a new OS release (and no, "backports" repos don't cut it). There's no reason I should have to upgrade my kernel and core software in order to run KDE 4.2.
Yeah, that would be great.
Old 20th November 2010
Knuth's homeboy

Kde4 has been a disappointment though. Its flashy, it looks great but functionality-wise IMO its not much of an improvement over previous kde releases (i liked Dolphin better than konqueror tho). I liked Kde3 from Debian5.
(Having said that for app/GUI development my favorite is Qt4! ;-))
xfce is lean & fast but i needed a little more "desktop" functionality (whatever that means :-P), so I have switched to Gnome - its a little slow (especially startup) but its familiar & it works for me.
Old 26th November 2010
Spam Deminer

Default license confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
No, it does NOT. Those people would be well advised to take their web-sites
down as you can not just take a peace of BSD licensed software and
release it as GPL. Both projects were officially halted couple years ago
but it seems that some people will not learn their lesson until somebody takes them to court.
Where does it say that Debian is relicensing the FreeBSD kernel using a GNU license? Debian has always had mixes of programs with a variety of licenses and called the distro a GNU/Linux distro. So this subproject has a kernel with a BSD license, and they call that GNU/kFreeBSD. Where is the legal issue?