DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
Port Guard

Default Packages for installation and Ports for upgrade from Release to Stable

Hi!, I'm learning how to manage third-party applications from packages and ports, and i wonder if the following is a correct way to do packages/ports upgrading to stable in a release system:

1. Install a release to disk
2. Install some packages
3. Sync a ports cvs tree for the newest -stable branch with "-rOPENBSD_<release_version>"
4. Run syspatch to update base system
5. Check out-of-date ports after sync with "/usr/ports/infrastructure/out-of-date"
6. Build and install those ports with dpb
7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until new release
8. Upgrade to a new release
9. Upgrade packages with "pkg_add -u"
10. Repeat steps 3 to 7 until new release

Also, i run in my test system "/usr/ports/infrastructure/out-of-date | tee upgrade_packages" and then "dpb -R upgrade_packages" and i don't get the compiled packages in my $WRKOBJDIR directory, nor the ports got installed, as if i run out-of-date again, i still see the ports that are out-of-date

Last edited by lea0342; 18th October 2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: mistake edit
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
More noise than signal

• Releases never change. A -release source tree is never revised. The -release ports tree is also never revised.
  • Errata patches are published against the -release source. At this time, binary versions of the errata patches are made available via the syspatch(8) tool for two architectures (amd64, i386), only for the most recent release.
  • Additional patches may be committed which do not need to be published as errata. These, along with errata patches, are included in the -stable CVS branch.
  • There is also a -stable ports tree, where select applications are updated due to security issues (e.g.: published CVEs), or for break/fix of an implementation problem.
  • The Project does not build -stable systems or packages, its limited resources are best spent elsewhere. The M:Tier company offers -stable systems and packages as a service to the OpenBSD community. https://stable.mtier.org
With your -release source/ports trees, the trees will never change and out-of-date(1) will never show an out-of-date application. (But I believe that at 6.2-release, out-of-date() has a bug and is misreporting anyway.)

If you wish to build your own -stable packages, you would be better served with -stable source/ports trees. Because there are never any API changes or library bumps in the base OS, you may safely intermix -release and -stable systems and packages.

Last edited by jggimi; 18th October 2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
Port Guard

Yes, my mistake, in step 3 I mean:

3. Sync a ports cvs tree for the release

to:

3. Sync a ports cvs tree for the newest -stable

But are those steps valid ones? I mean, i can mix packages and ports as i understand, so i can install packages for the release, and then get the stable ports tree via cvs and update only those installed packages with the ports in the cvs? Or did i need to build everything with ports if I want to keep in sync with stable?

As i understand, to keep track of stable after a release install/update i neet to:

for base system i run syspatch
for packages/ports keep cvs in sync with "-rOPENBSD_6_2" (in case of 6.2 -stable)

Is this correct?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
More noise than signal

Yes. But you won't need -r after establishing the tree. Tags are "sticky."

(The out-of-date problem was fixed on October 11. In -current. The change may have been too extensive to be backported to -stable.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
Port Guard

So, then i need to do this to initially fetch the ports tree for -stable:
$ cvs -qd anoncvs@anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org:/cvs checkout -rOPENBSD_6_2 -P ports

and then, for update the ports tree to the newest -stable:
$ cvs -q up -Pd

Instead of:
$ cvs -q up -rOPENBSD_6_2 -Pd

So right now there's no way to update my packages/ports from release to stable?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2017
More noise than signal

Yes, you can update. You just need to make note of any commits to your installed packages manually.

The out-of-date fix included changes to bsd.port.mk(5), and required a new feature in pkg_create(1).

Discussion: https://www.mail-archive.com/ports@o.../msg73091.html
Commit: https://www.mail-archive.com/ports-c.../msg85289.html
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2017
Port Guard

I just runned out-of-date and it showed an output similar to the one in the link you provided me:

archivers/lzo2 # ->
audio/libmad # ->
devel/harfbuzz,-main # -> png.17.4 -> png.17.5
graphics/png # -> 1.6.31 -> 1.6.32

What i don't understand is that, after upgrading "graphics/png" to latest version, i continue to get the lines like "devel/harfbuzz,-main # -> png.17.4 -> png.17.5" like there are two versions of "png" the one i runned "make upgrade" in "graphics/png" and other one.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2017
More noise than signal

The fix for out-of-date was not applied to -stable, as it requires a new feature of pkg_create.

If you want to use out-of-date now, you must run -current. Otherwise you'll have to wait for the next -release.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th October 2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarity
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2017
Port Guard

Now i understand, thank you so much for clarify that and for your patience!
Old 20th October 2017
More noise than signal

Don't worry, it is easy to get confused.

I like having out-of-date myself, and I miss having it on my build machines. (I don't use -current on my production servers.)
Old 20th October 2017
Spam Deminer

Rebuilding ports and all the dependencies by hand, is going to be fun without out-of-date...
Old 20th October 2017
Port Guard

Yeah, only one upgrade that i know was "graphics/png", that i upgraded with:

"cd /usr/ports/graphics/png && doas make update"

So i supposed that when i see other ports updated with "cvs -q up -Pd" i do the same with the affected ports

For now i only learning openbsd little by little, but now that i understand better the ports and packages systems, i'm considering using m:tier as i now know that some OpenBSD developers work there, and after reading this http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20130509120042 because earlier i was like having a little trust issues for not knowing much about it, but i changed my mind a little to try it.

Tags
package management, packages -stable, ports, upgrade