DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas
Default Panic message help on install

Hi Folks
Trying to install 5.7 on an IBM e330 server currently running 5.3

System tries to boot from CDROM then i get the message

"Panic Bus_space_map: Bad bus space tag"

Boot order in BIOS is
Hard drive
CDROM
etc
etc

Can someone point me in a direction to trouble shoot this.

Downloaded 5.7 Install.iso and placed on CDR for boot
media.

Cannot send DMESG yet as system halts on install

Thanks as usual in advance.

Last edited by frcc; 30th August 2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: correct spelling
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
Trying to install 5.7 on an IBM e330 server currently running 5.3
Given that you are having problems with installation from CD (which may mean that you need to ensure that all BIOS updates have been installed...), I would suggest copying 5.7's bsd.rd to / & boot directly from the installation kernel. The necessary filesets can be downloaded either through HTTP or you can determine if the CD can be recognized from the newer bsd.rd.

If you still experience problems, I would next suggest installation of a -current snapshot.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

No sever off rack will boot from Install5.7 iso from any online source.
Obtained from diff sources and burned with diff cd burners.

THEY WILL ALL boot from OpenBSD pre-packaged source ie 5.0, 5. 5,5 i386 store cd's...

SO what am i missing here?
I am downloading the i386 image marked 5.7 install.iso is that correct for an
IBM 33e pentium iii ????
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2015
More noise than signal

As ocicat recommended ... are you able to boot the 5.7 bsd.rd kernel from a system that already has an older release installed and running? No CD or .iso would be required.

Copy the bsd.rd kernel to the root directory as 57.bsd.rd, reboot, and tell the booloader to select the kernel with:

boot> 57.bsd.rd

Does this work, or does it fail?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

copied bsd.rd to /57.bsd.rd
same result
system stops with message any key to reboot
when system reboots it returns to latest OpenBSD release
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
copied bsd.rd to /57.bsd.rd
same result
Okay, the next easiest alternative is to try bsd.rd from -current. A recent snapshot at any mirror should be sufficient.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

...& if you have a serial cable, you can capture the kernel's output. Posting what the kernel is emitting would be useful information to either us here on this site, or to the project developers if you elect to engage them.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2015
More noise than signal

I found a similar bug reported to bugs@ ... There is a circumvention. The thread ends here:

https://www.marc.info/?l=openbsd-bug...1158310678&w=3
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Okay, the next easiest alternative is to try bsd.rd from -current. A recent snapshot at any mirror should be sufficient.

Ok can do that but FIRST ......................
Do I get a current bsd.rd from the same mirror that I got the install57.iso from ?
.and.
.if.
.so.
How can i identify it, ie how is it marked ? Where do I find it?

Ok and Second.......
Jiggimi says
I found a similar bug reported to bugs@ ... There is a circumvention. The thread ends here:
https://www.marc.info/?l=openbsd-bug...1158310678&w=3
That appears to be whats happening......
but beyond my pay grade.....so.........

Ok and Third
Occicat says
..& if you have a serial cable, you can capture the kernel's output. Posting what the kernel is emitting would be useful information to either us here on this site, or to the project developers if you elect to engage them.
That would be nice and its probably the best to do but see above concerning pay grade and expertise.

So......
looking how to identify a "current bsd.rd" then i will do the same as attempted prior.

Last edited by frcc; 31st August 2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarify response
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Do I get a current bsd.rd from the same mirror that I got the install57.iso from ?
I don't know what mirror you were using, but the layout of most mirror sites are similar. So, assuming you are somewhere is Texas, USA, a possible mirror site local to Texas can be found at the project's list of mirror sites. Assuming Dallas, TX is close, one might consider using http://mirror.esc7.net/pub/OpenBSD/ to a source for OpenBSD-related files.What you want to download is bsd.rd from the URL at the second bullet point above. This is the installation kernel for a recent snapshot of -current for i386.
Old 31st August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Default Panic message help in install

ok
55.bsd.rd works
56 bsd.rd No
57 bsd.rd No

Don't have the expertise to add a patch (even if i knew the one above mentioned) would or will work
so gonna have to wait for the 5.8 package to arrive and TRY it, otherwise gonna be using 5.5 for
awhile longer.

Thanks Occicat gonna try the current bsd.rd next.
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
so gonna have to wait for the 5.8 package to arrive and TRY it,
-current snapshots today are a few weeks in development past what will be officially released as 5.8-release in mid-October 2015.

The point is to see what how the codebase of recent development plays on this particular hardware. If you still experience issues, please see if all BIOS updates have been applied. You have not commented on this matter when I raised it earlier in this thread.
Old 31st August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

-current bsd.rd works !!!!!!
nice,,,,,,

Occicat
I will have to check with the IBM website for this model and see if they have upgrades for the BIOS newer
than what i have installed.

So what are our options at this point...
We are currently running 5.5 on some machines and as old as 5.0 on others.
If i understand you correctly we may have to keep running the versions we have now or
wait for 5.9 to be released to be sure to avoid this issue?

Last edited by frcc; 31st August 2015 at 01:54 AM. Reason: clarify response
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
-current bsd.rd works !!!!!!
nice,,,,,,
It is good to see that -current plays nicely with your hardware.
Quote:
So if I understand things correctly I upgrade to current now or wait a week or so until my
order is processed at the OpenBSD Store for 5.8?
-current is newer than OpenBSD 5.8-release. Studying Section 5.1 of the FAQ will help explain the differences between OpenBSD's flavors -release, -stable, & -current.

Being newer than OpenBSD 5.8, there is no upgrade path to move from -current back to 5.8-release. If you want to install what comes on the official CD set, you will need to do a fresh install.

However, it is not clear at this point whether OpenBSD 5.8-release will fix the installation problems motivating this thread. You can try a fresh installation of 5.8, but it may be the case that only -current has the needed fix in its codebase. From the limited information we have in this thread, it is unclear what is the fundamental root cause of the error, so we cannot track this down further.

...but it is your choice whether you do a fresh install of 5.8-release. What we know at the point is that -current as well as some ancient versions work.
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
We are currently running 5.5 on some machines and as old as 5.0 on others.
If i understand you correctly we may have to keep running the versions we have now or
wait for 5.9 to be released to be sure to avoid this issue?
Running such old versions has security implications given that the patch sets available do not fix all vulnerabilities which have been found since their release. Ancient versions are also not officially supported.

While I understand your desire the keep old versions installed, I cannot in good conscience recommend this as a solution especially if these servers are exposed to the Internet.
  • If you experience these same problems on other hardware, I would recommend attaching a serial cable to capture what errors the kernel is emitting. This will give us and/or project developers more tangible information to analyse.
  • As mentioned before, you should ensure that all relevant BIOS updates have been applied.
Old 31st August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Default Panic message help on install

Yes, and so far I cannot reproduce the pre-boot error that would be valuable to the developers.
i.e. attach a serial cable etc. (But am reading and who knows, probably a good skill to get)

???????????????
so, telling the boot process at boot> "cur.bsd.rd" and following install prompts on an already clean system
will bring me to somewhere between 5.7 and 5.8??? i.e. -current-
???????????????

The reason we started this was to upgrade all servers to the new HTTPD replacing APACHE and
then try setting up our own SMTPD so we can consider the two servers removed as test beds. Upgrade process is always bumpy no matter what unless it is your full time job.

There are thousands of IBM e330 servers in production so i find it strange more of this
hasn't been noted. We currently run several as with hpdl 360 and 380's

Your expertise and experience is much appreciated !
You folks saved me much grief today with the trouble shooting tips.
Reading the manuals and faq's (which i do almost daily) sometimes just cannot connect
the dots like good advice from others or from hands on can.

Thankyou all

Last edited by frcc; 31st August 2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: clarify response
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Quote:
so, telling the boot process at boot> "cur.bsd.rd" and following install prompts on an already clean system
will bring me to somewhere between 5.7 and 5.8??? i.e. -current-
No, although OpenBSD 5.8-release has not been officially released yet (The official release is currently scheduled to be in mid-October 2015...), OpenBSD 5.8-release was tagged in CVS several weeks ago. Development of -current occurs in a different branch of CVS, & has continued since 5.8 has been frozen.

As a timelime, the progression is:
5.7 < 5.8 < -current
Old 31st August 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Again
Thank for the help to All
Old 31st August 2015
More noise than signal

FAQ 5.1, referenced above, describes the development cycle and flavors of OpenBSD. It should help.

Only the two most recent releases are supported. At this time, that's 5.6 and 5.7.

You are running systems far older; and they are not supported. What does this mean?

There are two types of support: break/fix, and proactive maintenance. Break/fix ends when support ends. You can report a problem, and you may be able to receive diagnostic assistance, but no one will develop patches for your unsupported release to fix a problem.

Proactive maintenance ceases when support ends. Patches developed for newer releases will NOT be backported to unsupported releases. You can see evidence of this if you look through the published errata history by release. The 5.7 errata contains links to prior release patches. www.openbsd.org/errata57.html
Old 1st September 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

install58.iso 211M 31-Aug-2015 16:21 snapshot works so far.
no issues on booting.

As mentioned prior, won't know if issue fixed in 5.8 since as i understand it this snap may not be included. So, we have pre-ordered 5.8 and will see. If it dosen't work we will have to decide if we want to wait for 5.9 to test
or continue with this snapshot.

Note: Administrator can move this next section to discussion or elsewhere if better.....

Anyway not having the expertise at this time to attach a serial cable and record the error
during pre-boot leaves us with the original "Panic" message for installs 5.4 thru 5.7 for
IBM x330 series commercial servers.

I may or may not be able to improve my feedback so it is useful. (i.e. serial cable)

In the meantime bios upgrade will be researched in case there might be something there, won't hurt anyway.

For users and not developers this problem is one for a catch-22 situation in that
it takes us thousands of keystrokes to set-up a productions server, so, we are naturally
not super keen to upgrade it every six months or following anything but stable when there
is a compelling need.
Now, when we do decide to upgrade and can't, over several release cycles because of
a problem with install, then we can either have

NO operating system with NO chance of being hacked
.OR.
An ancient operating system that works with a CHANCE of being hacked
.BUT.
Not Both.

so as a business owner its a no-brainer.
Now if my talent level for this os was higher (working on it) then the above wouldn't
be as stark a choice.

Conclusion:
Its better to have a system that is working that can be hacked then NO working system at all !

Which means we will try to use the snapshot as a test bed upgrading our Apache setup to httpd and
Open smtpd or fall back to what is NOW working i.e. version 5.3 until something changes.

For many of you here, the choices above are meaningless because of your expertise level.
Many can patch it or make some change that meets the upgrade and security path.
However even the individual who worked on the patch that jiggimi mentioned could not really
understand the fix or be sure that it the fix was effective. So, it that individual can't figure it out we can't.

Some of us here are users (ME) and choosing OpenBSD was obvious considering the alternatives.
We might at some point contribute but with the level of expertise here i doubt it. So that leaves
us buying cd sets and sucking up info when we can.

cheers

Last edited by frcc; 1st September 2015 at 01:09 AM.