DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2013
New User

Default Install Screen: sdmmc0: cannot enable card: 60

Well, I've been trying to install NetBSD on my laptop with no luck. When I try to install I get 3 options. None of those actually work. I'm using an i386 (32 bit) installer

1. Standard (with SMP and ACPI)
2. No ACPI
3. No SMP and no ACPI

Regardless of which option I choose, during the loading process I see a failure message. This message says `sdmmc0: cannot enable card: 60'. Okay, it told me of this failure once, but it seems that's not enough. The installer really wants to make sure that I read this message, so it outputs the exact same thing again and again and again till my whole screen contains nothing but 'sdmmc0: cannot enable card: 60'.

I'm not able to proceed with the installation screen because the GUI gets overwritten by the system error message. Trying to blindly select the GUI options didn't seem to work either. I failed miserably.

What is card 60, and why is sdmmc0 so insistent on enabling it? Anyway to disable the enabling of card 60? I really want to install NetBSD on my laptop.

Following is the output of lspci on my Ubuntu. Hopefull that contains enough hardware information.

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
05:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
05:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
05:06.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
05:06.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 0a)
05:06.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 05)
05:06.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2013
Administrator

If this was OpenBSD I would refer you to http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BootConfig to disable the 05:06.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19) which seems to be the culprit.

NetBSD also also allows you disable a device (driver) before booting the kernel. See the userconf man page. You can see that the commands are similar/equivalent to the OpenBSD ones.
According to this man page the NetBSD user kernel configuration facility was taken from or inspired by the OpenBSD one

So you would have to boot the NetBSD install kernel with "-c" parameter. Unfortunately I have no NetBSD machine available. If you need urgent help on this "sunny" Sunday afternoon you could ask on one of the NetBSD IRC channels. See http://www.netbsd.org/community/
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2013
Package Pilot

J65nko is right, you should first try to disable the driver for that card reader; chose option "5" during boot up to drop to boot prompt, then type:
Code:
boot -c
and then:
Code:
uc> disable sdmmc
uc> quit
and see if it makes it through. If it boots up, then I would suggest you send a PR to NetBSD for this problem.

P.S. sdmmc(4) driver has actually been ported to NetBSD from OpenBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2013
New User

Thanks for the help guys, unfortunately I still couldn't boot NetBSD on my laptop. After searching a bit, it seems that many people have trouble installing NetBSD on regular laptops. Though, it works fine on desktops.

After disabling ACPI and MMC, I get an error with an assembly language instruction. I'm not qualified enough to make head or tails out of assembly language so I'll leave it for now.

HTML Code:
netbsd:sdmmc_needs_discover: testb $1x(some value I forgot), 20(%eax)
I might give openBSD a try after installing a qemu. So far freebsd is the only BSD variant that runs wel... ahem that installs just fine.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2013
Package Pilot

You should not disable acpi, only the sdmmc driver.
Try disabling only sdmmc, and if problem is still present I could only suggest you try newer code (if the version you're trying out is NetBSD 6.0.1 try STABLE snaphot here) or to file a PR and wait for developer response.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2013
Package Pilot

Just a thought: the same error happens if you boot with a card in the reader?