DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default radeonHD support

any hope of seeing some decent radeonHD drivers? Currently the driver is supposedly quite flakey, the ati driver hangs my system, so I have to use VESA.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Spam Deminer

The radeonhd driver will soon get 3D support for r500 video cards (x1300 to x1950), but it will, of course, only be available on Linux at first. No one really knows how long it will be before the 3D support will be available on FreeBSD.

Adam
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

dernt!

looks like support for my 3850 is gonna be a bit of a ways off then...

#4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Spam Deminer

2D support, via radeonhd, should probably not take much longer, assuming it's not available yet. If the driver works, but is flaky, as you say, you might want to subscribe to the radeonhd mailing list and report your problems (http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/)

Adam
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Banned

Modern GPU's don't actually have hardware 2D engines anymore, so accelerated 2D is done over the 3D engine, which is clearly a problem.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Arp Constable

That's just peachy...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Actually, moving more functionality into the 3D engine makes a lot of sense. Nor is it a problem, in and of itself, if the specifications are available and the developers are willing to work on it.

Since the 3D specs for the r300, r400, and r500 cards has been released by ATI, my performance under linux (with the open source driver) has improved tremendously. I now have full EXA support, including accelerated RENDER, greatly improving compositing speed. Not only do I have the one Xv port for the hardware overlay, I have 16 additional Xv ports from the new textured video support.

The real problem is that the hardware vendors, and even the DRI developers, are primarily concerned with linux support, not FreeBSD support. So they push changes into the direct rendering manager, make sure it works under linux, and we (FreeBSD users) sit around hoping that someone ports the changes to the BSD code. At one point, Eric Anholt primarily worked on FreeBSD, generally making sure that the DRI ran just as well under FreeBSD as it did under Linux. Now he works for Intel, and guess what their primary conern is? :-)