DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
New User

Default A Newbie to PC-BSD having problems with display/or Installing a WM with FreeBSD

This forum seems pretty... how shall I say it, "experienced BSD users who shun silly Windoze users and know how to do everything in the shell."

I was directed here by a member of the PC-BSD, apologies if I'm a silly Windoze loving person who has little to no experience with BSD in general.

OK: here is the repost from the PC-BSD forums:

"Hi! As the title shows, I'm a newbie to BSD (sort of comfortable with linux). I've just installed PC-BSD on an extremely old Dell Latitude D600, with a failing HD; to remedy this, I installed PC-BSD on an external USB HD. Anyways, when I get to the intitial display settings window, I specify 1024x768 (or whatever it is) but whatever option I have tried, and whether I press apply or skip, I end up stuck a the
Code:
Determining monitor refresh rate capabilities...
Please wait.. Start X-Configuration Utility
Using saved /usr/PCBSD/xorg-gui/conf/xorg.conf.basic from install...
Please wait... Starting X...

screen. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
"

I know this is kind of double posting, but if you guys think that it would be better / or could direct me to a simple resource for installing a Window manager on FreeBSD, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry if my post shouldn't really go in this forum
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
Fdisk Soldier

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../x-config.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
New User

Hehe
I guess that means trying FreeBSD again. I've managed to get it running with fluxbox in a VM... Just not in a real computer. Does anyone know I'd there is hardware incompatability with the old Latitude D600s?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
New User

And now I notice your sig:
RTFM
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
Tcpdump Spy

I haven't used PC-BSD in years, but it seems PC-BSD is running some script to generate a X config file.
I don't know how to disable this script, but normally running X without a config file works pretty good (Just run xinit), you can also use X -configure to let X make a configuration file.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2009
Arp Constable

It's trivial to use other window managers under PC-BSD, only it effectively produces a franken-freebsd - because it often breaks the 'design contract' PC-BSD specific systems expect (KDE session). If willing to use the KDM login manager they use by default, one can trivially search for the .session files it uses to populate the sessions menu, and write one for the session you want to create; GDM is much the same way.

You're real sticky is getting X to work in the first place.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.