DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Question about DNS.

Hi,

When it comes to *nix administration I know my way around, but one thing that I'm a little confused about is the function of BIND. Here's the problem: I have a server that's running FreeBSD 7 and I also have a domain name that it is pointed to the IP address of my server. I have a website that's up and running but what's weird is that when I browse the website using my domain name, there are certain things missing (title of website is not being displayed in the web browser and I can't get to the administrator page). But if I browse the website using the IP address of my server, everything works just fine. I did a nslookup on the domain name, and it showed an IP different from the server that the domain name is pointed to.

So here's my question: Is this happening because I didn't configure the DNS for that domain name on my server? If I configure BIND correctly for my domain name, will I then be able to browse through my website without a problem using the domain name?

Thanks for the help!