DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2015
λ programmer

Default If blackberry runs openbsd

Safe phone + safe OS, then it will not be sold now ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2015
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2wolf View Post
Safe phone + safe OS, then it will not be sold now ?
We love OpenBSD, but, the average end user doesn't care that much about which OS powers their phone. Blackberry was crushed by Steve Jobs because Apple created a phone with exemplary usability and design. Also, Apple's marketing strategy is second to none. I don't own an iphone ( I am a droid user). Android out sells all other phones.
I think an OpenBSD powered phone would be fantastic, but, I think Blackberry is pretty much road kill at this point.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2015
The World is Yours.

BlackBerry doesn't run OpenBSD, it runs QNX. They will not abandon QNX, because it is keeping the company profitable. I think 5 years from now they will have abandoned their hardware division since the real $ will come from licensing QNX for automobiles and medical devices.

It's a shame, of all the mobile operating systems remaining, BB10 is the most coherent and responsive.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2015
λ programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekiser View Post
BlackBerry doesn't run OpenBSD, it runs QNX. They will not abandon QNX, because it is keeping the company profitable. I think 5 years from now they will have abandoned their hardware division since the real $ will come from licensing QNX for automobiles and medical devices.

It's a shame, of all the mobile operating systems remaining, BB10 is the most coherent and responsive.

I ever heard of QNX many years ago. Do they still manufacture Blackberry in the future ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2015
The World is Yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2wolf View Post
I ever heard of QNX many years ago. Do they still manufacture Blackberry in the future ?
I really doubt it. BlackBerry is organized into four divisions, one of which is the handset division, which hasn't been profitable in YEARS. The other three divisions, IIRC, are BlackBerry Messenger, the BES Stack, and QNX. Somehow, John Chen has managed to pull the company into profitability based on slashing the hardware division and creating value in the other three divisions. I think the future is bleak in the handset division, but there is opportunity for growth with QNX now that in-car infotainment systems are integrated with the rest of the car electronics system in a way that requires a real-time OS. BlackBerry also has some sort of new agreement with Google and another separate agreement with Samsung that will create end-to-end security for Android devices in a corporate environment.

The Passport was kind of their last effort at a relevant flagship. I love it. Media reviews were quite positive, but the general public and carriers ignored it. Since then, their two newest phones, the Classic and Leap, are really just old internals (Q10 and Z30 respectively, both from 2013) with newer looking designs. This week, BBRY just laid off a lot of their hardware division.

So if BlackBerry still exists in 5 years time, I expect the only thing you will see as an end-user, will be a brief BlackBerry logo as you switch your corporate Android phone from the personal profile to a locked-down "work" profile. I hope I'm wrong, as I believe there is still room for physical QWERTYs in the mobile space.

Mods feel free to move this to Off-Topic.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

Looks like it won't be OpenBSD after all.

BlackBerry may put Android system on new device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s Android software for the first time, an acknowledgment that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter.
Support for BB10 OS will continue.

On the one hand, it smacks a bit of desperation. On the other, it could provide some badly needed incremental revenue to the handset division, and serve to promote their multi-platform security tools as mentioned in the article.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2015
Shell Scout

Modern version of QNX has borrowed a lot of stuff from NetBSD, including network stack, drivers and pkgsrc. Probably the closest to OpenBSD you can have there.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

BlackBerry confirms Android phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Globe and Mail
BlackBerry Ltd. is officially a two-OS smartphone maker as of today, after CEO John Chen confirmed the company will release an Android phone in the holiday period.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2015
New User

Its not possible to create OpenBSD based phone without $$$$ even with current cash flow BB handling its difficult for them to manage it.
Old 27th February 2016
Package Pilot

The reason why blackberry OS failed, is because it had very few apps. The average user, is not security oriented, so that is why you see today, that Blackberry has embraced Android. The Priv is out, and the Vienna (codename) will be out soon. OpenBSD on Blackberry would be a huge failure I am afraid. I, however, love it.

Last edited by jjstorm; 29th February 2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 29th February 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekiser View Post

Agreed. I also have a passport. Not much compares to it really.