News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Arp Constable

Default Firefox 38 in multiple permutations

Firefox38
Firefox38 without CRM/DRM

Firefox 38 will also be an Extended support release

Will Firefox38-esr also provide 2 versions?

Information here.

Last edited by shep; 13th May 2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: and -> an
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

Thanks for the heads-up on this. The above-linked TechCrunch article links a Guardian article by Cory Doctorow that I found very informative.

Looking at the firefox 38.0 binary releases, the dual versions exist for Windows only. Made me wonder if the Linux versions contain the offending software or not. The Guardian article mentions that Adobe's blob is also available for Linux, so perhaps they could.

But this article says the EME/DRM support is just on Windows now. I also found some conflicting info on this point elsewhere so I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe I'll just stop downloading FF, I don't really use it anyway. Though I suppose SeaMonkey for Linux may be at risk in the future.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Maybe I'll just stop downloading FF, I don't really use it anyway.
So what do you use if I may ask? WebKit based browser even worse crap IMHO. Opera is dead. Is Konqueror still active? I see some recent releases. Ideally we could use Netsurf but there are quite a few basic features that needs to be added for usability starting with better JavaScript support.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
So what do you use if I may ask?
Sure. I use SeaMonkey as a "full-featured graphical" browser, but also use lynx a lot. Due to the relation between SM and FF, of course I worry that bad things in FF could find their way to SM, but the EME/DRM problem needs more investigation by me to see what the plans might be. I should add I don't use SM to watch video and stuff so stability hasn't been an issue.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Arp Constable

Moved to Firefox alternatives for Unix-like OS

Last edited by shep; 14th May 2015 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Moved to New Thread
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
With some caveats, www/xombrero is nice.
Tried to use as my main web browser on several occasions. However WebKit is just to buggy and bloated. IIRC Chromium uses Google fork of WebKit. It works little bit better than Xombrero, Midori, and 10 other "browsers" based on non-forked version of WebKit but it is the same thing for me. The real problem is not the browser but the lack of diversity among rendering engines. We are more or less down to Gecko, WebKit, and perhaps KHTML if it is still alive. WebKit IIRC doesn't work n sparc64. It will be nice to see Dillo and in particular Netsurf which is in much better shape getting some love.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Tried to use as my main web browser on several occasions. However WebKit is just to buggy and bloated. IIRC Chromium uses Google fork of WebKit. It works little bit better than Xombrero, Midori, and 10 other "browsers" based on non-forked version of WebKit but it is the same thing for me. The real problem is not the browser but the lack of diversity among rendering engines. We are more or less down to Gecko, WebKit, and perhaps KHTML if it is still alive. WebKit IIRC doesn't work n sparc64. It will be nice to see Dillo and in particular Netsurf which is in much better shape getting some love.
KHTML works pretty good with KDE3 libraries. I don't know if it still lives in any new releases. I would hate to get stuck with KDE dependencies, for a Firefox alternative.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
Tried to use as my main web browser on several occasions. However WebKit is just to buggy and bloated.
That was my experience in previous OpenBSD releases. Usually somethings get fixed in releases as other things break. On my 5.7 stable amd64 system, it seems to be one of the things that got fixed. Have 4 tabs open as I write this and over the last several days have gone hours without a core dump.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2015
Snoozing

Quote:
So what do you use if I may ask? WebKit based browser even worse crap IMHO. Opera is dead. Is Konqueror still active? I see some recent releases. Ideally we could use Netsurf but there are quite a few basic features that needs to be added for usability starting with better JavaScript support.
Netsurf ain't bad. Mainly, the lack of javascript is detrimental in terms of some websites I might visit, but there's also an advantage to the lack of javascript!

Netsurf does such a good job w/o javascript, it sometimes amazes me. Much of the time, I can't really tell it doesn't have js, just by working with the UI. Maybe, someone should hit Netsurf's donation button a couple times, so as to facilitate the javascript. On the other hand, that might ruin the browser.

What it amounts to is that bloated, crappy, commercial, insecurely built-out websites (unfortunately, all the biggies) - force bloated, crappy, insecure "receiving software" onto the users who consume their "broadcasts"

It's only ever the mega-sites that force me over to use one of the big three browsers. Maybe I should just be like RMS, and use a text browser.
Old 13th May 2015
Shell Scout

I guess that there is Icecat and GNUzilla.

Last edited by fn8t; 13th May 2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: adding gnuzilla
Old 13th May 2015
Shell Scout

I'll try to stay in line with the FireFox orientated origin of this tread and also talk about webkit usage

I know many folks don't like webkit. Oko mentioned Konqueror. But, Khtml was the origin of webkit. I think KDE is actually adopting webkit in the form of kwebkit (Rekonq). I'm not sure on the development history there.

I use Surf all the time. It is my preference. I have my bookmarks in form of a local file loaded as my homepage.

I wish I could use webkit or gecko without gtk, even though the footprint in Surf and Xombrero isn't bad. It still seems hefty when considering that slight decrease in memory usage compared to Firefox.

So maybe a solution to all of this is a synced fork of gecko, like Icecat's, ran inside of something like Surf, Xombrero or Conkeror.
Old 13th May 2015

I found some discussion about EME and SeaMonkey.

ADDED:
And from the horse's mouth, talking about FF, indeed it is currently Windows-only:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla
Currently, Adobe Primetime is only available in Microsoft Windows Vista and above when using 32-bit versions of Firefox. Mac OS X, Linux, Windows XP and 64-bit versions of Firefox are currently not supported.

Last edited by IdOp; 13th May 2015 at 11:32 PM.