DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Serial Consoles

I have two servers, lets call them A (FreeBSD 6.2) and B (FreeBSD 7.0). They are connected with a single null modem cable. This is so I can access one if it is having a network/firewall issue or the such.

Things seem to be configured properly as I can get into the serial console from my Gentoo laptop using a USB-serial adaptor and minicom. However, I cannot establish a connection from one server to the other with cu or tip. I get the error message

/dev/cuad0: Device Busy
link down

I'm beginning to suspect that I cannot double up the purpose of a single port (eg "dial in" an "dial out") due to the port being locked for inbound communication. Is there any way to hijack it when I need to establish an outbound connection?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddekok View Post
I'm beginning to suspect that I cannot double up the purpose of a single port (eg "dial in" an "dial out") due to the port being locked for inbound communication. Is there any way to hijack it when I need to establish an outbound connection?
set the ttyd0 entry to "off" in /etc/ttys on the server you're calling out from; init q; killall getty; you should now be able to tip cuad0. set the ttyd0 entry back to 'on' and 'init q' again when you're done.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Banned

Wouldn't it make sense to restart getty after killing it? aka, killall -HUP getty?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddekok View Post
I have two servers, lets call them A (FreeBSD 6.2) and B (FreeBSD 7.0). They are connected with a single null modem cable. This is so I can access one if it is having a network/firewall issue or the such.
Note: you will need two separate serial cables to connect both servers, if you want to be able to connect from one to the other as needed. Connect serial port 1 on system A to serial port 2 on system B. Then connect serial port 1 on system B to serial port 2 on system A.

Then configure both systems to use serial port 1 for the serial console. And to use serial port 2 to "dial-out" to the other server.

Otherwise, using a single cable between serial port 1 on both systems, you'll have both systems outputting data to the serial port (ie the serial console is connected to serial port 1), and you won't have anything available to "dial-out" on to the other server.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to restart getty after killing it? aka, killall -HUP getty?
init will restart all the getty instances in /etc/ttys that are declared "on". as far as I can tell, getty doesn't make a distinction between SIGHUP and SIGTERM--both cause it to exit.