DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Shell Scout

Default DNS host entry

hi

I've setuped a public primary DNS server, but it's on the internet unknown, because I need a DNS host entry on the Slave server.
I don't have a Slave server and try to deal with ISP to setup a domain inkl. host entry from my Master als Slave zone
on the DNS server from ISP, but it seems to be difficult.

Last edited by ccc; 24th June 2009 at 09:48 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Administrator

The normal procedure is that you tell the registrar, who registered your domain name, the details of your nameserver. The registrar will then make sure that your nameserver will be known on the internet.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
The normal procedure is that you tell the registrar, who registered your domain name, the details of your nameserver. The registrar will then make sure that your nameserver will be known on the internet.
Are you sure, that registrar will be enough for my primary DNS server?
I thought the Slave server is 100% needed.

btw. howto find a DNS Slave server if my ISP is not agree?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2009
Banned

I cannot fully comprehend your post,

When you register a domain, you must decide who the DNS authority is.. it is very much possible to use only 1 name server, but most have additional servers setup to mirror the configuration of the primary server.. for redundancy and backup purposes.

If your registrar requires 2 name servers via some sort of automated configuration panel, consider emailing a technical support representative and see if bypassing it is possible.

Another option http://freedns.afraid.org/secondary/, many similar services exist.. but this is the most popular, and it's free.

Good luck..

Last edited by BSDfan666; 24th June 2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: J65nko doesn't think I'm nice.. :(