Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2011
Package Pilot

Default can some one tell me what's wrong with this picture? [SOLVED]

Quote:
mini article about motivations and consequences

goal:

to answer this question Q:why do you do what you do?

"Motivation may seem more obvious to those within communities, but from the outside, it looks more like doing a lot of hard work for no pay". --Diana Harrelson

“It goes back to an age old idiom that programmers develop software to 'scratch an itch,' and it breaks out to 'a group of developers with a similar itch' so they write code to 'scratch' or satisfy that itch.”--Diana Harrelson

1-what did you miss by not using say new gnome or KDE or new features Linux/Unix world got now

2-do you spend so much time with your PC doing what exactly and what impact does that have on you

BETA section

3-what does it mean for you coding/using OpenBSD

4-I was reading "The OpenBSD Culture by for David Gwynne dlg@ in 2006@OpenCON", what do you think of OpenBSD's community right now or it's not important.

5-when do you socialize?
could some one at least help me refine this?

Last edited by qmemo; 12th May 2011 at 05:48 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2011
Tcpdump Spy

I am not sure what your question is. Do you want people to answer your questions or improve on the questions being asked themselves?

I also don't quite understand the context of the question: "Q:why do you do what you do?".
Do you ask this question in the general and broad sense as in "Why do you lead your lives as you do?" or in a more specific context as in "Why do you use computers as you do?" or perhaps in a different context ...?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I am not sure what your question is. Do you want people to answer your questions or improve on the questions being asked themselves?
what ever is applicable to them!, if they are understandable then yes, if not then improvments
I also don't quite understand the context of the question: "Q:why do you do what you do?".
Do you ask this question in the general and broad sense as in "Why do you lead your lives as you do?" or in a more specific context as in "Why do you use computers as you do?" or perhaps in a different context ...? in general as in "Why do you lead your lives as you do?", I thought they were pretty straight forward, perhaps that's what made the confusion in the first place.
I am trying to build an article about OpenBSD's Usage from a different point point of view, this is not collecting statistics!, cause it's already directed to those who use OpenBSD and wonder what's next and those who still do not use it will have a glance about what it looks like from the inside, I mean the OpenBSD world. questions?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2011
Package Pilot

I just do not get it, I did clarify my self and no one even said a word afterwards.

you guys are treating me as if I do not know how to write propper english!

or talk bla bla bla!, I know I can type/read/understand understandable words!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2011
Banned

Carpetsmoker is saying that you must be more specific.

Why do you do what you do? Can also be "What motivates you to do what you you?"

Calm down, no harm is meant.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
Carpetsmoker is saying that you must be more specific.

Why do you do what you do? Can also be "What motivates you to do what you you?"

Calm down, no harm is meant.
heh, I am calm and I will quote from a friend of mine

Quote:
Something I learned the hardway (by getting banned from #perl), never apply simple to people used to complex, and expect a positive result
I asked a straight cut-to-the-chace and get down to the bottom of the line questions assuming my reader will take them letraly without overthinking I might have a hidden question
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Tcpdump Spy

I still don't understand what your question us is. Sorry.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Banned

Questions are:
1) Are there any new features in KDE or Gnome- but not currently available for OpenBSD- that you wish were available? Are there any features for other systems such as Linux or others that you wish were available?

2) What do you do the most with your system and how does it affect your personal life?

3) Why do you like using and/or coding OpenBSD?

4) What is your view on the OpenBSd community and culture or is that not important to you?

5) Do you have time to socialize? How often?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Banned

Quote:
1) Are there any new features in KDE or Gnome- but not currently available for OpenBSD- that you wish were available? Are there any features for other systems such as Linux or others that you wish were available?

2) What do you do the most with your system and how does it affect your personal life?

4) What is your view on the OpenBSd community and culture or is that not important to you?

1. I don't care.
  2. Everything. None of his business.
  3. Why not?
  4. No bullshit, they write what they want.
  5. None of his business.
Old 17th March 2011
Package Pilot

@BSDfan666

are you being rude, or just being your self?
Old 17th March 2011
Package Pilot

@Mr-Biscuit

Thanks for taking the time to re-write those questions in a proper understoodable english to THEM
Old 17th March 2011
Banned

I believe your questions are unanswerable in any other way, and I can hardly grasp your reasoning for why you're asking them.
Old 17th March 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I believe your questions are unanswerable in any other way, and I can hardly grasp your reasoning for why you're asking them.
and why do you belive that there is something hidden or I do not say about why I ask this questions except what I already said!

I AM TRYING TO BUILD AN ARTICLE ABOUT OPENBSD USAGE FROM A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

that's all

nothing hidden, nothing vague

just as is!
Old 17th March 2011
Banned

1) KDE4 mobile/netbook setup as an option in packages/ports; but, I am aware that the KDE team is very busy.
2) As BSDfan666 aid, "Everything." It's the main choice for my SunBlade 1000.
3) Security. Support.
4) It's different. Rough around the edges but very helpful.
5) I have depression and using BSD systems helps me concentrate.

qmemo, even though people here may seem to be rude, they are not. Give yourself time to learn each person.

There is an advocacy mailing list for OpenBSD that you can post the questions to. You can also try the general questions section of linuxquestions.org.

Just collect all the data (answers) and try not to reply or get personal.
Old 17th March 2011
Package Pilot

First of all, thanks once again for answering me.

now

Quote:
1) KDE4 mobile/netbook setup as an option in packages/ports; but, I am aware that the KDE team is very busy.
just said KDE/GNOME as being noticable innovation or some sort of development towards the desktop, not particularity them selves.

Quote:
qmemo, even though people here may seem to be rude, they are not. Give yourself time to learn each person.
In person I am noted as being a nice guy who listens to the others, but it happens that I have a flaw in my character, I do not tolerate agressive behaviors or liverish attitudes.

Quote:
There is an advocacy mailing list for OpenBSD that you can post the questions to. You can also try the general questions section of linuxquestions.org.
good Idea, it's just that I have been planing to collect like 5 or 6 contributions cause this is just an article not a study like this one !

Last edited by qmemo; 17th March 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 17th March 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Questions are:

I'll toss in a "response".

1. I use cwm, so kde/gnome is irrelevant. I can't think of anything that stands out as "Jeez, wish I had that on OpenBSD..."
2. At work I use OpenBSD to maintain Linux/PostgreSQL systems. cwm + tmux is outstanding for Unix admins.
3. It just works. I expect that of my workstation.
4. You can't make a diamond without some heat. That's life.
5. I talk to people sometimes if I can't avoid it.
Old 17th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Questions are:

1.) I could not care less about KDE or Gnome. I use CWM for the past 2.5 years. Before that I used OpenBox. I do miss some stuff for my professional work on BSDs not OpenBSD per se which is only available on Linux. I miss Open64 compiler for instance which is not available on BSDs and CUDA drivers for example. OpenBSD is not suitable as a High Performance Computing Platform but NetBSD would be well suitable with a little bit of cooperation from vendors.

On OpenBSD itself I do not miss anything from Linux but I would like to see some other things ported like Hammer file system from DragonFly or Solaris technologies as ZFS and DTrace (which will never happen as they are not free). NetBSD has some very interesting stuff coming up for 6.0 release.

I am also missing on OpenBSD a damn good system compiler (PPC needs to be finished and that GCC garbage needs to be out).

On the desktop side native Opera, IcedTea (which is in works) and why not native Flash would be nice to have. I use Opera via Linux emulation layer right now. Once in very, very long while I need to use Acrobat Reader and plug in for browser. Unfortunately Acrobat 9.0 doesn't work on OpenBSD even under Linux emulation. Native MATLAB would be hand to have on my laptop for prototyping instead of FreeMat. It would be nice if AVASYS drivers for scanners would actually be open sourced for real instead of using Linux specific binary blobs. Fortunately new trend is that better scanners do not need drivers. They can scan directly to USB. If you look carefully all this desktop stuff has nothing to do with OpenBSD. I am simply missing few proprietary programs which would be nice to have.

2.) I work with computers every day. Mostly scientific programming, light system administration, and lots of desktop stuff like publishing (writing papers), data mining etc. OpenBSD doesn't affect my personal life nor the relations with my kids or wife in any meaningful way. Actually, my kids thing that I am cool because I can decrypt scrambled DVDs and do lots of fun stuff with computers that the parents of their friends do not know how to do.

3.) Because it is fun.

4.) I like them and I lake it A LOT!!!

5.) I usually spend all my spare time with my children. I can not recall when I did something on my own last time.

Last edited by Oko; 18th March 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 17th March 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I am also missing on OpenBSD a damn good system compiler (PPC needs to be finished and that GCC garbage needs to be out).
Ahh, ok, yes, PCC needs to be finished...completely agree with you on this point. But this isn't exactly something other systems have that OpenBSD lacks. GCC is unfortunately pretty widespread.
Old 17th March 2011
Package Pilot

See guys, was it that hard? did you guys want me to yell before you answer me?

I could have commited suiside by jumping from my chair, of course I won't die...but it will scare the hell out of me.

Thanks @rocket357 @Oko
Old 17th March 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
did you guys want me to yell before you answer me?
5 years in the Marines + married + OpenBSD community...I don't feel normal unless I'm getting yelled at...

Thanks =) haha