DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 17th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm2 View Post
Port vr1 is connect with a network cable or network card and then my laptop.
With what kind of Ethernet cable -- straight-through or cross-over?
Quote:
I connect with a network cable to port vr1 and Then I connect with the same

cable to my laptop network card .
With what kind of Ethernet cable -- straight-through or cross-over?

If the connection between your Alix box & your laptop is directly through a single cable, it must be a cross-over Ethernet cable.
Old 17th October 2011
More noise than signal

Thank you, wlm2, for posting your topology.

Your gateway router is a Linksys WRT610N. I don't own one, but I have reviewed the user guide at http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/s...outers/WRT610N and have determined:
  1. This device cannot be operated as a bridge, and pass all packets transparently.
  2. This device can provide a port forwarding DMZ (all ports forwarded to a single address for just the TCP and UDP protocols), and can be configured to pass various VPN protocols (the suite of IPSec protocols, L2TP and PPTP).
  3. NAT can be disabled, so that the device may be used as in inner router on a private network.
  4. With NAT disabled, the device will accept RIP packets to adjust routing tables.
But ... it appears that the "Internet" connection on the back panel is an RJ45 socket. If so, this is a twisted pair Ethernet, to interconnect with an ISP's terminating equipment. Therefore device could be replaced by the ALIX entirely, once the ALIX and the inner network is configured properly.
Old 17th October 2011
Port Guard

With Ethernet cable straight-through.
Old 17th October 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
That is why there is no connectivity on vr1. Straight cabling cannot be used point-to-point unless the NIC at one terminus can make the electrical conversion. These cables are designed for use with hubs and switches. The 4 ports for the Linksys router are on an internal switch.
Old 17th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
wlm2, either respond to all of the questions posed to you, or specify in your answers which question is being answered. We cannot read your mind.
Old 18th October 2011
More noise than signal

wlm2, while you are coming up with answers, I have thought of a topology that uses your existing equipment, and permits protection of your Windows laptop by OpenBSD and the ALIX device... including WiFi.
Code:
{Internet} -- [ISP equipment] -- [ALIX] -- [Linksys router's switch] -- [Windows laptop]
The connection between your ISP's equipment and the ALIX is a point-to-point Ethernet connection; the ISP's equipment may resolve the transmit/receive crossover; if not, a crossover cable is needed.

The connection between the ALIX and the Linksys box is another point-to-point cable, connected to one of the router's 4-port switch connections.

The connection between the Linksys box and the laptop is another of the router's 4-port switch connections.

DHCP services can be provided by the Linksys box to all devices, since you are unable to find and eliminate syntax errors in your dhcpd configuration file.

The Linksys device acts as an Ethernet switch and WiFi access point bridge. It is no longer used as a router.
Old 18th October 2011
Port Guard

Dear jggimi,
My name is Igor and I'm wlm2's friend.
I think he confused you a bit and I'll try to make some order.
We are trying to create an Ethernet-cellular backup system on an Alix6e1 board under openBSD environment
The cellular network is turned on only when the Ethernet is down and when the Ethernet is up again the cellular network is turned off.
Minimal cellular usage.
The board: Alix6e1 by PCENGINS
Board specs: http://pcengines.ch/alix6e1.htm
Board schema: http://pcengines.ch/schema/alix6e.pdf
Board booklet: http://pcengines.ch/pdf/alix2.pdf
The Net stick (for cellular connection): Icon 225 by OPTION
Net stick specs: http://www.option.com/en/products/pr...odems/icon225/
The operating system on the board: OPENBSD 4.9
The Ethernet connection comes out from a router connected to a cable or ADSL modem
I think some mistakes were made in his setup.
Again thank you for you help and if possible we'd like to start over with your guidence.
How can we reset openbsd to it's original after install settings?
Old 18th October 2011
More noise than signal

Igor, please create your own userid here, rather than using wlm2's, so that we can better understand who is communicating.
Quote:
How can we reset openbsd to it's original after install settings?
There is no way for us to know exactly what wlm2 has done to this system, since beginning the journey in June. If there are no significant applications installed, I would make a clean re-install. If that cannot be done, you can use ls(1) sorting by date of modification (-r) to make reparations in /etc. The etc49.tgz installation fileset can be used to "restore" default files. However, anything else wlm2 may have done, outside of /etc, is unknown to us.
Note: OpenBSD 5.0-release is expected to be made available on or about 1 November; 4.9-release will only be supported until 5.1-release, expected on or about 1 May 2012. You may wish to take the days between now and 5.0's release to design an appropriate solution.
Would the topology I've outlined in my most recent posting, where wlm2's Linksys router only acts as a switch and WiFi access point, be acceptable?

If so, the addition of the cellular modem for connection to a secondary ISP in the event of an outage is easy enough to add.
Old 18th October 2011
New User

Default My own account

Igor here- Opened an account.
Our initial instalation was done using this guide:

http://markshroyer.com/2010/12/openbsd-alix-via-ubuntu/

It was extremly complicated and we are afraid to be stuck again.
Do you have an easy way to reinstall openbsd 4.9 now that we already have it installed on the board ( the board has a CF that can be removed and we have a card reader)

Last edited by ocicat; 18th October 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Enabled URL.
Old 18th October 2011
More noise than signal

Welcome, Igor.

Since OpenBSD is already installed, you only need two things to re-install:
  1. The 4.9-release RAMDISK kernel, bsd.rd.
  2. The installation filesets and kernels, via network or pre-fetched media.
The RAMDISK kernel may already be on the system; it is installed by default by the installation scripts. Look in the root directory, if you find the file "bsd.rd" you have it. If not, you can obtain it from your nearest mirror in /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/i386 and store it in the root directory.

The installation filesets (.tgz files) and kernels (bsd*) are also in that directory. If the Alix system cannot reach the Internet, these can be preloaded onto a USB stick (in FAT format) and used during re-install.

To boot the RAMDISK kernel, if it is in the root directory, all you need do is reboot the ALIX system. At the boot> prompt, type bsd.rd and press Enter. After this kernel boots, you will be prompted to Install, Update, or drop to the Shell.

If you do not have an Internet connection, insert your USB stick with the pre-fetched filesets and kernels after booting, but before running the install script. The kernel will assign the stick to a pseudo SCSI drive, sd0 or sd1 or some other number, and you will see this assignment on the console. If there is only a single MBR partition on the stick, inform the install script to find the filesets on disk, on that device, then in the "i" partition.

----

To configure your netstick for dialing an ISP, please see wlm2's thread from August where we gave information on configuration. We pointed wlm2 to two man pages, one of which had several PPP configuration examples, and we pointed wlm2 to a section of the OpenBSD FAQ on configuring PPP.
Old 18th October 2011
New User

we are reinstalling the system.
vr0 was set as DHCP. Sets are downloading.
Now we'd like to set up our lan interface- the DHCP server (as we understand this is vr1)
I remind you that our board has two network ports and we want it to serve as a gateway.
How should we proceed?
regarding the topology you suggested we would like to change it this way:
{Internet} -- [ISP equipment] -- [router's switch]-- [ALIX] -- [Windows laptop]
The reason is that we want to be able to connect the device on different networks (cable/ADSL/ inside a private network) each type has a different connection protocol.
The Net stick will be connected to the Alix board and we we'll need to set up a cellular ISP dialup protocol for it- hopefuly you'll help us with that.
Old 18th October 2011
More noise than signal

Thank you, Igor.

I hope your installation goes smoothly. As I recall, you use a serial console; don't forget to set that up during the installation. If you forget, you will not have a console, and will need to either access the system via a network connection using ssh(1), or mount that CF card in another OpenBSD system to be able to write an /etc/boot.conf file.

FAQ 6 will be your best friend for setting up your network configuration:
  • Configuring OpenBSD to act as a gateway/router is described in FAQ 6.2.7
  • Setting up an dhcpd(8) server is described in FAQ 6.4.2.
  • Setting up a serial connection to an ISP with PPP is described in FAQ 6.5.
In addition, as described in wlm2's earlier thread on the Netstick, you will want to review the man pages for umsm(4), ucom(4), and cu(1) or tip(1).

When you have specific questions, please ask.
Old 18th October 2011
More noise than signal

Oh, and Igor, regarding this terminal net of your topology:
Code:
[ALIX] -- [Windows laptop]
Based on wlm2's reported output from ifconfig(8), you will require either a crossover Ethernet cable for point-to-point Ethernet, or you will need an Ethernet hub or switch. Apparently, a straight-through cable was not functional.

See the Cabling discussion in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair

Last edited by jggimi; 18th October 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 19th October 2011
New User

How will we create this switching protocol: The cellular network is turned on only when the Ethernet is down and when the Ethernet is up again the cellular network is turned off.
Minimal cellular usage.
can you give us a few pointers or an example of something simular and how it's done?
Old 19th October 2011
More noise than signal

See the ifstated(8) man page.
Old 19th October 2011
More noise than signal

I do not usually recommend using how-to documents found on the Internet.

Do not use the ifstated.conf script found here unless you understand the purpose of every single line in it. Never blindly copy and paste without knowledge. Questions about this script should be referred to the author, not here.

With that disclaimer, you may find this helpful.

http://www.chrisk.de/blog/2011/03/ho...er-on-openbsd/
Old 20th October 2011
More noise than signal

Igor,

I noticed the plea for help that you posted on the chrisk.de blog. For the level of assistance you requested of the script's author, which was for basic administration help, it appears to me that both you and wlm2 have jumped into deep water without first learning how to swim. Your project began in June or earlier this year. It is nearly November, and you are starting over at the beginning.

From here -- though I may be wrong -- it appears that a skilled technician could create a configuration for you in a few hours, unless, of course, there is something unique about your Netstick device that requires significant testing or development.

Perhaps you and wlm2 might consider seeking professional OpenBSD support locally. There may be someone who can assist you locally, and help you deploy a functional solution. See www.openbsd.org/support.html for a list of service providers, by country.

----

This forum community is a collection of BSD users. While we volunteer our help where we can on specific issues, the forum is not designed and not structured for transferring general knowledge of basic administrative skills. That comes to each of us over time, from reading, from testing, from practice, and from experience.

It is technically possible for one of us to remotely connect to your Alix platform, and configure the software for you. With tmux(1), you and wlm2 could watch the process as it occurs, though you will not gain much knowledge just by watching. Through the use of ssh(1) software and public key pairs for authentication, the connection could be made securely, without the need for sending any passwords to anyone. However, you would have to trust an anonymous person on the Internet with superuser authority of your system. Should you?

Last edited by jggimi; 20th October 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 20th October 2011
Administrator

I would divide the project in 3 parts
  1. Create internet connection for the laptop through the Alix using the ISP connection
  2. Create internet connection for the laptop through the Alix using the netstick
  3. Get failover working with the ISP and the netstick connection
Port Guard

Default thanks !

Hello everyone have a good weekend

I do not understand what I was doing wrong with setting the dhcp server on port vr1.

I'm trying to set up with the guidens of openbsd FAQ 6.4.2 and I can not get anything on vr1 when I run the command ifconfig-A.

Can someone help me move forward only with the definition of the dhcp server.

This will help us a lot.
Old 20th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
I'm trying to set up with the guidens of openbsd FAQ 6.4.2 and I can not get anything on vr1 when I run the command ifconfig-A.
wlm2, rarely have you provided sufficient information about what you have done. Most of the time, we have to guess. In order to have a meaningful discussion, you should take the time to understand the information found in the following thread:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596
  • Quote:
    I can not get anything on vr1 when I run the command ifconfig-A.
    Post the output of ifconfig(8), so we can see what you are seeing.
  • By guessing, have you added pf(4) rules which are preventing packets from transit?