DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 18th May 2008
Spam Deminer

FreeBSD, Gentoo, Slackware, and other "power" distributions of BSD and Linux seem hard because of what the minimal setup they leave you with on a fresh install. The only exception is Slackware, which is difficult because of the manual dependency resolution, but in my opinion, it's not hard at all. You should use something that you feel comfortable and that is properly maintained. I've been using Gentoo Linux for two years along with FreeBSD, and I'm not going on three. Gentoo is probably one of the most poorly maintained distros. Not to mention that the USE flags system is falling apart. Right now, I'm putting FreeBSD on my Dell Optiplex and will be migrating my main desktop to Debian or Slackware. I've used both extensively, and they are rock-solid stable. Anyway, I suggest you try out FreeBSD. It isn't hard to use, once you learn a bit about it, and the FreeBSD Handbook is an amazing resource for that.
Old 18th May 2008
Port Guard

to Kienjakenobi sorry I didn't thought about it previously. Off course I will use spell checker. And off course I have found that article moreover i found version of it even in polish So thx everybody for posting, today I have free time so I will start reading how to make my dreams come true
Greetings
Arthur
Old 18th May 2008
UNIX lover

Hard is a moving target only like Linux, but something steady like $BSD isn't hard. It's something you have to learn, but once you have acquired the knowledge you don't have to do it again and again.
Port Guard

oh and I almost forgot I want to have FreeBSD for normal desktop not serwer(when I will have my FreeBSD I'm going to learn php and then maybe I will have serwer on FreeBSD). It won't impossible to make? Cause i read Free is mostly for servers. But it will be possible to adopt Free for Dektop?
Arthur
Old 18th May 2008
Package Pilot

The beauty of FreeBSD is it's endless customization. FreeBSD can easily be made into a rock-solid server system, or a stable and secure desktop. However, you may want to look at DesktopBSD or PC-BSD, which are both based on FreeBSD. They will install a FreeBSD base system with an already customized desktop environment. This should make your transition a bit easier. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with installing FreeBSD and making it into a desktop system.
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorion View Post
oh and I almost forgot I want to have FreeBSD for normal desktop not serwer(when I will have my FreeBSD I'm going to learn php and then maybe I will have serwer on FreeBSD). It won't impossible to make? Cause i read Free is mostly for servers. But it will be possible to adopt Free for Dektop?
Arthur

Even NetBSD or OpenBSD are good for servers. The beauty of UNIX is variety, you can do whatever you want to do with it.

Guess why there are 18482 ports at the moment?

http://www.freshports.org/
Arp Constable

Setting up a web server (local or internet, note some ISPs have rules about hosting internet servers off residental/home connections) is not very hard under the BSDs.

PHP isn't a bad language to learn

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
local or internet, note some ISPs have rules about hosting internet servers off residental/home connections
Im experiencing the real pain because at home, incoming port 25 and 80 are blocked. It makes a normal website hosting impossible. The only workaround I doing is running the website as https on port 443 and using Google Apps as a mail service.

They previously blocked outgoing port 25 as well.

So yeah, if you plan to run servers at home, check your ISP ToS before joining