Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Administrator

Default In NBC interview, Snowden says NSA watches our digital thoughts develop

From http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ughts-develop/

Quote:
In his first interview with a major US network news organization since leaking a treasure trove of documents related to the US national security apparatus a year ago, former US intelligence contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden told NBC “Nightly News” anchor Brian Williams that he has been misrepresented by the mainstream media outlets, and aimed to set the record straight.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Spam Deminer

Snowden is a loser and a traitor whose 15-minutes of fame need to end. One only needs to listen to his unending spiel to realize he is trying to stay in the headlines with more lies. In a new interview he claims he was actually a real "spy" and not a low level analyst, claiming he worked "undercover and overseas" for the CIA and NSA, and was a lecturer for the DIA.

As I've said before, more people will be harmed by criminals and their malware, phishing and spyware than by NSA telephone call metadata.

The media - in all forms - needs to ignore him so he fades away in obscurity. He already wants to come back home, so his dream life in Russia must be fading, plus the KGB (or whatever they're called now) must have realized he has no value, so he keeps making himself heard with more allegations.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
More noise than signal

Respectfully, I disagree regarding his importance to the discussion of mass surveillance.

Regardless of your opinion of his self-described roles, his foreign posting history with the NSA has been previously confirmed. It is also generally understood that NSA personnel (including supplemental technical staff) in foreign posts are routinely given "cover" roles which may include false identities, and that such staff receive training for living under a "cover" role/identity.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Spam Deminer

Granted that some intel officials, notably a CIA station chief, would be given a cover for obvious reasons, but Snowden claims that he was "trained as a spy," which bears much, much, more weight than working for the CIA or NSA as a technical analyst.

Although I'm sure he was posted overseas, I'm not convinced that a technical analyst working for the NSA would be given cover abroad unless it was an hostile area such as Afghanistan.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
More noise than signal

I had a colleague who had at one time been on the technical staff at the CIA. He, along with all the other new hires were given an introductory course in field operation, so that they would have an insight into it. I recall he mentioned that his favorite class was Flaps and Seals.

I am opposed to indiscriminate surveillance by the state, on its citizens or those of other nations. I don't particularly care what training Mr. S. received, or what his roles were.
Code:
General Barnicke: Where have you been soldier?
John Winger: Training, sir.
Soldiers: Training, sir.
General Barnicke: What kind of training?
John Winger: Army training, sir.
Soldiers: Army training, sir.
General Barnicke: Where is your drill sergeant, men?
John Winger: Blown up, sir!
Soldiers: Blown up, sir! 
General Barnicke: Are you telling me that you men finished your 
                  training on your own?
John Winger: That's the fact, Jack.
Soldiers: That's the fact, Jack.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th May 2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Wow, Kerry's comments are disgusting. I think my motivation to become a citizen here (which was solely based on wanting to be able to vote... somewhere) just went down a few notches. Since voting for the green rainbow party or whatever is largely symbolic I might as well not bother and make symbolic gestures in other ways.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Snowden is a loser and a traitor whose 15-minutes of fame need to end. One only needs to listen to his unending spiel to realize he is trying to stay in the headlines with more lies. In a new interview he claims he was actually a real "spy" and not a low level analyst, claiming he worked "undercover and overseas" for the CIA and NSA, and was a lecturer for the DIA.
Argumentum ad hominem

Quote:
The phrase ad hominem argument (often called an ad hominem attack) comes from the Latin "at the person." It also sometimes applies to any argument that centres on emotive (specifically irrelevant emotions) rather than rational or logical appeal.
Quote:
As I've said before, more people will be harmed by criminals and their malware, phishing and spyware than by NSA telephone call metadata.
Not as bad as...

Quote:
The "not as bad as" argument, or the fallacy of relative privation, is a form of the moral equivalence fallacy that takes note of the existence of things that are worse than what is actually under discussion
Quote:
Granted that some intel officials, notably a CIA station chief, would be given a cover for obvious reasons, but Snowden claims that he was "trained as a spy," which bears much, much, more weight than working for the CIA or NSA as a technical analyst.

Although I'm sure he was posted overseas, I'm not convinced that a technical analyst working for the NSA would be given cover abroad unless it was an hostile area such as Afghanistan.
Ad hominum, as above, but also a red herring since Snowden's status or training has absolutely no importance whatsoever regarding anything, really.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Spam Deminer

Just as in a court of law, if the prosecution or defense brings up an argument it then becomes fair game and part of the proceedings. Thus, Snowden brought up his alleged "real" training and status, thus making it a real avenue of discussion of the original arguments.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Yeah, Kerry's remarks were comical. C'mon back, risk being put in any type of jail we like, and know that you'll be spending millions on legal fees. Trust us..

I mean, really.... as an American, I was embarrassed. Seeing how Manning was treated, being put in a cold cell without proper clothing, just as one example. It was Kerry's line about trusting American Justice, which has been an oxymoron for years now that would be laughable were it not so sad.
Old 31st May 2014
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Just like this : How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to damage Reputations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Yeah, Kerry's remarks were comical. C'mon back, risk being put in any type of jail we like, and know that you'll be spending millions on legal fees. Trust us..

I mean, really.... as an American, I was embarrassed.
FWIW, as a French, I really understand you.