DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
New User

Default 4.8 = daemontools no longer works

Hi, after updating to 4.8, daemontools stoped working.
Code:
 # svscan /service
[1]    743 invalid system call  svscan /service
any idea how can I fixed it ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Banned

What "daemontools" are you referring to? I'm assuming you mean D. J. Bernstein's project? here?

I can't find a port for this in the ports tree, as is usual for his stuff, so if you're attempting to use an old binary on 4.8.. binary compatibility isn't really a huge priority for the project, you should recompile if possible.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
New User

thanks, after recompile it's working =)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Administrator

OpenBSD 4.8 switched to gcc4 as mentioned below:

http://www.openbsd.org/48.html

As BSDfan666 explains, this may lead to incompatibilities due to new binary startup code, library changes, & other differences in how binaries are structured in memory.

If you compiled these tools before, you will need to do so again. If you downloaded binaries before, you will need to determine whether anything downloaded now is compiled with a new compiler version. If not, you will be running into the same problem.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Banned

Right, it all depends on when you compiled the binary.. or did you actually upgrade or reinstall?

A binary that was compiled on a 4.7 system that was upgraded should have "ABI" compatibility with 4.8, but if you reinstalled completely the shared C library distributed with 4.7 is not in the 4.8 installation sets, a new major library will be shipped that have may have different semantics now.

A static OpenBSD binary should continue working as long as the low level system calls haven't changed, which can sometimes happen, I do believe they try to retain compatibility here for at least 2 releases.

You have to remember that OpenBSD is a constantly evolving system and they don't want to be stuck in the sand, if you compile your own software.. recompile after upgrading/reinstalling.. if you use the official OpenBSD packages, please upgrade them.