DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Default I need help with make.conf syntax

My current make.conf file is:
Code:
CPUTYPE?=	k8
MAKE_SHELL?=	sh
X11BASE=	/usr/local

# added by use.perl 2008-05-26 13:22:20
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
and I want to customize it specific to certain applications but I do not know what the syntax I should use is. The syntax I am looking for is the if statement used to enable/disable options for individual ports. For example, I want to install MPlayer, but not the skins/GUI since I will only be using it to play simple video files (i.e. music/instructional videos) and I will use VLC for DVD's. Going to the mplayer directory and typing:

make --WITHOUT_GUI
make install
make clean

should work, but if I install some other port (i.e. mplayer-plugin) that depends on mplayer it could install mplayer-skins even though I do not want it installed. I will be installing mplayer-plugin and there is a line in its Makefile that says.

USE_GECKO= firefox mozilla seamonkey

If I put USE_GECKO=firefox in my make.conf file will that provide me with any benefits? The reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago I installed Fluxbox on my machine (FreeBSD 7.0 i386) and I found a link to some documention on setting up and configuring Fluxbox on a fresh install and I recall the author putting this line in the make.conf file.

I am not able to look at my old make.conf file because after I followed a link to BSDGuides to harden my system I did too much too soon and locked myself out of my computer so now I am in the process of rebuilding it. I lost everything.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Example make.conf attached.

Quote:
If I put USE_GECKO=firefox in my make.conf file will that provide me with any benefits?
Some ports need the gecko engine for html rendering, you can use either firefox or seamonkey for that...
Attached Files
File Type: conf make.conf (4.9 KB, 164 views)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
Port Guard

Thank you for your help, Carpetsmoker.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

make.conf itself does not have a way of specifying options for specific ports. It does generally allow specifying different options for building the kernel, source tree and ports in general, but not specific ports.

However, the portconf port ports-mgmt/portconf does. Based on it's config file, it will splice in make.conf variables based on the port you are building. It is simple, and works well. I recommend you take a look at it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
make.conf itself does not have a way of specifying options for specific ports. It does generally allow specifying different options for building the kernel, source tree and ports in general, but not specific ports.
Yes it does, did you look at the example I posted?