DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2021
Port Guard

Unhappy OpenBSD FDE key-disk Install on APU2C4

Dear community,

I'm getting confused with how to install OpenBSD on an pcengines APU2C4 board with FDE using a key-disk. When I'm following the official documentation for the full-disk-encryption, I'll end up with a broken installation after rebooting the system. The error message says that no active partition can be found on the SSD onto which I installed the encrypted partition. Since I'm not witnessing any problems with an unencrypted install of OpenBSD on the same machine, I curious about the key-disk and how parameters need to be set.

1. How do I have to initialize the key-disk?
The documentation doesn't state anything specific, so I initialize the key-disk with `fdisk -iy`. I'm not making use of GPT partitioning here.

2. Are there any changes necessary to the key-disk itself?
The docs tell you to add a partition of 1MB, which I do with `disklabel -E sd1` and then `sd1> a a` and so on. Anything else to do here?

I hope this is enough information for to provide me with an answer on how to tackle my issue. If not, I'm gonna post all steps from an unsuccessful round of installation here.

Cheers

Dennis
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2021
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I've never used a keydisk until your post. I've been using a passphrase since softraid(4) was first implemented in 2007. And in my test just now, using a keydisk worked fine.

I could guess that the backing storage may not have had an MBR or GPT installed on it, which is done manually with fdisk(8), and therefore the boot loader may not be installed on the backing drive.

If you share your full procedure, that guess will either be confirmed or ruled out.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2021
Port Guard

Hi jggimi,

My steps are the following:

1. Initialize sd0 with
Code:
MAKEDEV sd0
and
Code:
fdisk -iy
then I format the sd0 drive with
Code:
disklabel -E sd0
and create the RAID partition.

2. Afterwards I initialize the key-disk with the same commands on sd1, create a RAID partition of 1MB on it.

3. Running
Code:
bioctl -c C -k sd1a -l sd0a softraid0
as it says in the documentary gives me a new device sd3 (sd2 is occupied by the usb-thumbdrive the miniroot is installed on), which gets initialized with
Code:
MAKEDEV sd3
Overwriting the 1st MB of the new pseudo device with
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd3c bs=1m count=1
Then I hit the auto_install script served by an unencrypted OpenBSD installation in my network.

And after carefully writing out everything here, it's working.... LOL - Done
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2021
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisN86 View Post
And after carefully writing out everything here, it's working.... LOL - Done