News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2018
ISO Quartermaster

Default How to Hack a Turned-off Intel Computer

Blog post of Positive Technologies researchers
How to Hack a Turned-off Computer, or Running Unsigned Code in Intel ME

Quote:
Intel Management Engine (Intel ME) is a proprietary technology that consists of a microcontroller integrated into the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) chip and a set of built-in peripherals. The PCH carries almost all communication between the processor and external devices. Therefore, Intel ME has access to almost all data on the computer. The ability to execute third-party code on Intel ME would allow for a complete compromise of the platform.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2018
Shell Scout

Its not just Intel, its AMD as well. You have to wonder what goes through their heads when they decide to put these things in. Or perhaps no thought went into it. They were compelled to do it.

https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2017/0...md-processors/

For deep security, use ARM, avoid Intel & AMD processors
Posted on 3 February 2017 by E.M.Smith

Quote:
It seems that Intel and AMD have decided to put a “computer inside your computer” that only they know how to operate, doing only what they tell it to do, and where nobody but them can see the programs running in it. IMHO, this is a security hole you could drive an entire Three Letter Agency through.

But worse, us “Hacker Types” being very cleaver folks, have figured out how to exploit it… Which means other Governments around the world will also know how to exploit it… Which means you are at risk for Chinese, Russian, Iranian, and who knows what all else TLA’s crawling into your Intel or AMD run box and doing it in such a way that you can not see them, nor ferret them out. Since ARM chips are not subject to this class of exploit, that’s why I’m so focused on making my home systems out of them.

#3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2018
ISO Quartermaster

07/10/2018
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-sa-00112.html
I am going to look closer at me_cleaner project...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2018
Snoozing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
Its not just Intel, its AMD as well. You have to wonder what goes through their heads when they decide to put these things in. Or perhaps no thought went into it. They were compelled to do it.

https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2017/0...md-processors/

For deep security, use ARM, avoid Intel & AMD processors
Posted on 3 February 2017 by E.M.Smith
Yeah - it's difficult to convert entirely over to ARM, but I've done it. The most powerful computer I have is 8 x 2G ARM cores on an Odroid XU4. That runs about like a celeron netbook for some tasks, but is pretty decent for other tasks, depending upon how well the software in question can use the little/big processors. Unfortunately, only Linux and Android have been ported to the XU4 so far. For NetBSD I have to use the Odroid C1, but it's much less powerful.

So, for security there's gain, but there's a perfoprmance loss, and I'm OK with it. I just have to be a little more patient.

Last edited by rons; 30th July 2018 at 11:06 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2020
ISO Quartermaster

Positive Technologies: Unfixable vulnerability in Intel chipsets threatens users and content rightsholders
Quote:
The vulnerability resembles an error recently identified in the BootROM of Apple mobile platforms, but affects only Intel systems. Both vulnerabilities allow extracting users' encrypted data. Here, attackers can obtain the key in many different ways. For example, they can extract it from a lost or stolen laptop in order to decrypt confidential data. Unscrupulous suppliers, contractors, or even employees with physical access to the computer can get hold of the key.

Related:
INTEL-SA-00213
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2020
Open Source Software user

I intend converting to ARM too, my most recent one is a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB ram, it seems to work well enough for my usage, connected to a 24" HD monitor.

My only complaint is that I've had to buy a mSDHC card for it , as the promised USB booting still hasn't been programmed, (7~8 months since initial release), but, I expect it will eventually arrive, sometime.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2020
Spam Deminer

The Intel Management Engine was and always will be, a horrible idea. They are still building on top of this broken model, so this can only get worse. You don't implement security by creating an insecure mess and then attempt to secure that.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2020
openbsd noob

how would a pinebookpro work as an arm laptop? Is it secure on a hardware level?

Tags
intel amt, intel me